[sustran] Re: WorldTransport Forum Economics of Traffic Congestion and TDM

Carlos F. Pardo cpardo at cable.net.co
Thu Jul 21 12:33:22 JST 2005

Au,

It’s a rather difficult question to ask in Asian cities. If you are looking
for a test of this hypothesis, I think we’d have to wait for a couple of
years to see any real change in economic trends, since major sustainable
transport projects in Asia have been developed in the near past. I think
Singapore could be one good example of a somewhat integrated approach to
urban reform, though not the best. Maybe Seoul’s recent transformation can
give you an idea, but it’s also quite recent.

On the other hand, maybe the UK links are good, but using them for Asia
would not be so coherent. In Latin America, I know there is a study about
TransMilenio’s impact on land revenue in Bogotá (by Felipe Targa et al), and
this could give you a good idea of what you’re looking for. Also, maybe
Curitiba’s example (which is one of the best in terms of what you’re looking
for) could have some studies. It’s a shame that most of the time, when you
get a nice intervention like this you don’t necessarily find the data of
before-and-after.

I don’t know if anyone else has suggestions. I will keep looking but I can’t
think of any other example with specific data that’s been widely diffused,
let alone in Asia.

Best regards,

Carlos F. Pardo

Project Coordinator

GTZ Sustainable Urban Transport Project (SUTP)

Room 0942, Transport Division, UN-ESCAP

ESCAP UN Building

Rajadamnern Nok Rd.

Bangkok 10200, Thailand

Tel: +66 (0) 2 - 288 2576

Fax: +66 (0) 2 - 280 6042

Mobile: +66 (0) 1 - 772 4727

e-mail:  <mailto:carlos.pardo at sutp.org> carlos.pardo at sutp.org

Website:  <http://www.sutp.org/> www.sutp.org

Disclaimer:  If you have received an email from an unknown sutp.org account
or with a strange attachment, please do not open it. We do not send emails
from any of the following addresses: webmaster at sutp.org, support at sutp.org,
service at sutp.org, register at sutp.org, mail at sutp.org, info at sutp.org,
administrator at sutp.org, postmaster at sutp.org.

  _____