[sustran] Re: WorldTransport Forum Economics of Traffic Congestion and TDM

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Thu Jul 21 11:19:23 JST 2005

Start out here with the Texas Transportation Institute site for their
congestion work:
http://mobility.tamu.edu/ums/

I think this is good stuff -- if you google "TTI Congestion" you also
find some rather viscious  right-wing, "pro automobile" attacks on it on
the same google hit -- so it must be good!

the TTI methodology looks at time spent in a number of urban journeys
under conditions of free flow and other actual conditions, and calls the
difference "congestion". Multiplied by the number of cars, you get total
time, and multipled by an average wage rate, you get $$

the PSUTA cities replied with a bit here and a bit there, but none have
the data to make these comparisons. Unfortunately, some of our partners
felt that  their respective cities were not congested, particularly
Hanoi. The terror of crossing the street facing literally hundreds of
mopeds in a swarm tells a different story.

>>> aables at adb.org 7/20/2005 8:45:47 AM >>>
Dear all,

Are you aware of studies/ figures on the economic costs of traffic
congestion and the economic benefits from transport demand management
measures, especially in Asia? We'd like to have some city data
preferably
based on actual examples to test the hypothesis that urban centers that

invested on developing their transportation systems integrated to their

urbanization development plans are doing better than others.

The Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities (CAI-Asia) has done a
preliminary assessment of the resources on sustainable transport in
Asia
though the pilot project Partnership for Sustainable Urban Transport in

Asia (PSUTA) (www.cleanairnet.org/psuta). The review showed that
resources
that deal with transport and economics, especially in Asia, are either
not
as many as we'd hope or are not readily available.

We would appreciate receiving studies/ links/ referrals.

Thanks and regards,
Au
Aurora Fe Ables
Transport Researcher
Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities (CAI-Asia)
Asian Development Bank
Tel (632) 632-4444 ext. 70820
Fax (632) 636-2198
Email aables at adb.org