[sustran] From New Regionalism to New Urbanism: Changing the Paradigm

EcoPlan, Paris eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sat Jan 8 20:45:18 JST 2005

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

If you click  to the New Mobility Agenda at http://newmobility.org and click
A Day at the Office on the top menu, you will find this interesting essay by
Peter Calthorpe which takes an architect/planner's view of the
transportation/physical development interface. Why do I bring this to your
attention today?

Well, I think that our still forming-up world sustainable transportation
community has to look for and work with allies (and opponents) wherever we
can find them, and the New Urbanism community is pretty strong in parts of
the States and is certainly a creative movement with many shared interests
with our own.  It is my thought that if we can find some ways to put our
heads together we just might end up fashioning some interesting alliances
and materials for change.

Hence, this is to invite you to have a look and share your reactions and
suggestions with us all, if possible as well copying to our long time
colleague Don Brackenbush, another architect/planner with a strong
transportation background who will be at the conference, on that panel, and
in a good position to relay the best of our thoughts and observations on
this.

I hope this rings a bell with at least a few of you.   2005 is going to be a
big year for us and sustainable mobility, and we want to make sure that we
get the momentum going for us from the very beginning,