[sustran] Re: Steve Abley field trip querying sustainable transportinitiatives world wide - Your help in organizing

Daryl Oster et3 at et3.com
Fri Apr 22 04:30:18 JST 2005

Alan,

Jet aircraft can fly just fine on biodiesel.  The main modification needed
would be to insulate and or heat the fuel to avoid gelling due to cold
temperature at altitude.  The cost of biodiesel is about double the cost of
fossil jet fuel.  Since biodiesel is renewable, there is no net increase in
CO2.  Other emissions are also significantly less.

Presently, financial and social sustainability is more of a consideration
than environmental or energy sustainability.

As far as ultimate sustainability goes, if we switched from fossil fuel to
biodiesel there would be a food shortage UNLESS about half the world's meat
eaters became vegetarian.  It takes about 7kg of grain to produce one kg of
beef; so present grain production could be diverted to vegetable oil
production for bio-fuels.

The best solution by far is to make quantum improvements in energy
efficiency of transportation methods.  ETT for instance is capable of
providing 50 times more transportation for a given energy input.

Daryl Oster
(c) 2004  all rights reserved.  ETT, et3, MoPod, "space travel on earth"
e-tube, e-tubes,  and the logos thereof are trademarks and or service marks
of et3.com Inc.  For licensing information contact:    et3 at et3.com ,
www.et3.com  POB 1423, Crystal River FL 34423-1423  (352)257-1310