[sustran] Re: distance based fuel tax technology test

Chris Bradshaw hearth at ties.ottawa.on.ca
Wed Oct 13 14:27:20 JST 2004

> I had sold my car recently and switch to car sharing. However, there is no
car
> share pots close to where I stay. I end up using it only once.
> For my only tranportation needs, a folding bike combine with MRT is a
> perfect solution (healthy, effecient). For family outing, Taxi or MRT is
fine.

I, too, have been a folding-bike owner, in my case, for over thirty years.
The first I had, a 60-pound Raleigh, was used for easier parking at work.

When I got my 30-pound Dahon in 1990, I was able to take it to my office,
since it is not only smaller when folded, but it stands up when folded.  I
also started using it on the bus (rather than having to wait until 6-7 years
later when _some_ buses _some_ months were outfitted with bike racks on the
front), although I avoided taking it on a crowded rush-hour bus.

Now that I am a carsharer, I use it to get to cars that are my second choice
(my first choice car is only a 2-minute walk away), and then keeping it in
the truck during the trip for any mid-speed side-trips.  Now that our
company is trying our first station wagon (Toyota Matrix), we will see if
_two_ folding bikes will fit behind the second seat.

Folding bikes are the natural urban bicycle.  The smaller wheel is no
problem, since the city riding places are all paved.  And the curbs are no
problem, unless, of course, you believe in riding on sidewalks (Boo!)  And,
theft of folding bikes is pretty rare, as they are rather unattractive to
the people who want a riding "thrill" (although I still usually lock mine
up; the other times, I just fold the steering column to the side, figuring
that will deter 99% of opportunists).  And they can handle packages hanging
from the handlebar, since the smaller wheels don't catch the bags (I also
have saddlebags, which don't interfere with the folding).

Without folding, a bike is a pretty ungainly vehicle that has many of the
same drawbacks as cars when not being used, like having to be parked
outside.  I even find my Dahon the easier bike to walk -- either folding it
first (and using the seat to push it on one of its wheels, as I do when I
take it into a store which lacks outside parking) or just by pushing it
along, also using the seat to control its balance and thus steer the wheel
indirectly, thanks to the smaller wheels that are so responsive.  If you
need to walk a regular bike by holding the handlebars, your ankle will
collide with the pedal more times than you will want to experience.

Chris Bradshaw, Ottawa