[sustran] Re: Taxi operations in Mumbai

Bina C. Balakrishnan binac at rediffmail.com
Mon Jun 7 16:34:15 JST 2004

 Dear Mr Mehta, Puttanna,

Thank you very much for your inputs.
At the outset, I have to tell you that we (Bombay First) are primarily initiators of change. We do not go into the finer details of design and implementation of the project, but identify areas for possible improvement, study the broad aspects of the same, and make recommendations to the concerned authorities / agencies for detailed study or implementation. Do visit our web-site at

http://www.bombayfirst.org

To respond to your comments, we have already considered most of them in the study framework.

Yes, one of our objectives is to examine the feasibility of shifting some work trips by private cars to taxi trips, but the economics have to be in favour of this(!!)

Augmenting public transport has always been a priority, and the BEST are going about it in a very systematic way. However, there is also a project that has been lying with the Municipal Corporation for almost 2 years, where I have recommended the use of parking as a demand management tool in Mumbai. The idea is to bring all street side parking under the pay and park scheme, banning it altogether on arterial roads, and raising the parking charges substantially from the very nominal Rs 5 per hour that it is today. The restriction on arterial roads is expected to release kerb-side lanes for exclusive bus lanes, and the higher charges and limited availability of parking will hopefully induce people to car pool and /or use public transport. However, for various reasons, the project is still lying with the MCGB.

 Yes, we have included the dial- a- cab facility in this study, and the new models of cabs can be designed to have a more prominent display of the vehicle for hire flag. As for raising fares - that is the moot point- we need to work out some other way of keeping the vehicles in better shape- hence the consideration of the operator system. But as Brendan has said, since we are looking to replace old vehicles with new in a low wage, low tariff situation, the finances will not fit easily. Hence, we are looking into subsidies for the new purchases, or some financial arrangement whereby the changeover can be made more attractive.

About removing hurdles- I assume you are referring to the restrictions on autos plying beyond Bandra? Well, I don’t think it would be a good idea for them to come further south. I think they are driven very rashly, and their high maneuverability make them initiators of accidents, and besides, South Mumbai is doing very nicely without them!

Restriction on car ownership? I think I’d best leave that to you, Mr. Mehta!

Best regards,
Bina