[sustran] Shenzhen's first Car-free Day- comments

ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jul 8 19:16:00 JST 2004

Thursday, July 08, 2004, Paris, France, Europe

Thank you Paul for posting that release to our fine group. I am afraid
that I neglected to do so when posting it to our World Car-Free Days
Consortium forum, somehow thinking that this news was already known to
Sustran.  Which brings me to the entire concept of Car/Free Days
specifically in the context of our Asia/Pacific region.

The truth is that it is a potentially powerful instrument for change,
but if it is really to make the impact there the concept will basically
have to be reinvented for the Asia/Pacific region.  And that is a real
team work project that can build on the experience in other parts of the
world a well as the several projects that have thus afar been tried in
the region.

I would love to find either a city that would be willing to give this a
real try, and/or some organization that would be willing to back a
broader program for the region. For further background on
accomplishments and thoughts thus far, let me invite you all to check
into http://WorldCarFreeDay.com from time to time.  It opens with the
words:

" <http://www.ecoplan.org/carfreeday/general/start.htm> Cities around
the world are beginning to work with this ice-breaking sustainability
approach. It's not research or theory; it is policy and practice. But
proper preparations and follow-up are critical for success. WC/FD offers
information, discussion space and an open forum for ideas, exchange and
collaboration for people who care about sustainable transport and aren't
afraid to work at it. "

Anything we can do to help from here will be done.  All you have to do
is ask.

With all good wishes,

Eric Britton

The Commons                __ technology, economy, society__

Le Frene, 8/10 rue Joseph Bara

75006 Paris, France, Europe

T: +331 4326 1323   Fax/Voicemail hotline: +331 5301 2896

W : http://www.ecoplan.org     IP Videoconference: 81.65.50.149

E: Eric.Britton at ecoplan.org Personal webpage: www.EricBritton.org

--- Outgoing mail certified Virus Free.  Checked by Norton Anti-Virus.
Version 9.05.15