[sustran] Re: WBCSD & the auto industry - part of the solution, but how?

Robert Cowherd robert_cowherd at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 01:10:32 JST 2004

Of course reducing the impact of individual automobiles is a worthy
goal. However, investments in lowering impacts threaten to only make
matters worse if they merely serve to rationalize rising automobile
use.

I have yet to delve into Mobility 2003 but I'm concerned in general by
the missing analysis of the considerable spatial impacts of transport
choices and in particular that Goal Six: "Narrow mobility opportunity
divides" can be taken as a euphemism for expanding markets for
automobiles to the developing world.

To the extent that this report displaces concern over land use impacts
of automobility it deserves to be confronted by a more serious and
broadly considered analysis.

Robert Cowherd
Rhode Island School of Design
+1 617 491-8198