[sustran] Re: [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum] "Seven Sustainable Mayors":Profiles of Courage

VijayLele vlele at vsnl.net
Sun Jul 4 15:33:49 JST 2004

I think your "Profiles in Courage" is a commendable idea. Those who innovate
and undertake challenges deserve recognition. It also inspires others.

However, as far as India is concerned, it would be difficult to identify a
mayor who has done something novel in the area we are talking about.  The
pattern of election/nomination here is party based.

Usually, the character is a majority party cohort, and the parties
themselves have a none-to- clean record in local governance in the matter we
are talking about.

Moreover, the mayor has little executive / discretionary power to achieve
anything fundamental.

It is more likely that in India one might find a dynamic or upright Muncipal
Commissioner, or such bureacrat who, prompted by his vision and
understanding,  manages to achieve something despite the tangles created by
politicians.

Vijay Lele
Pune Traffic and Transportation Forum