[sustran] Re: "Seven Sustainable Mayors": Profiles of Courage

roelof.wittink at cycling.nl roelof.wittink at cycling.nl
Wed Jul 7 18:58:40 JST 2004

Eric, I have two candidates. One is Tasneem Essop, who is now
Minister for the Environment of the province of the Western Cape, but
she was minister of Transport and she established in close cooperation
with the authorities of the city of Cape Town a team to develop planning
of a BRT system in combination with cycling and walking facilities on the
Klipfontein Road in Cape Town. As well she announced to develop a
provincial strategy for NMT and organised twice a car free day on
Klipfontein Road.
The other is Lord Mayor Kleist A. Sykes from Dar Es Salaam who set up
also the planning of  a BRT system in combination with cycling and
walking facilities, on Morogoro Road .
For more information on them, please contact Andrew Wheeldon in
Cape Town and Asteria Mlambo in Dar. I copied this mail to them.

best regards

roelof wittink

On 2 Jul 2004 at 10:30, eric.britton at ecoplan.org wrote:

>                          Friday, July 02, 2004, Paris, France, Europe
>
> We have decided to work up a set of "Profiles of Courage", brief but
> sharp reminders of how a handful of hard-headed, far sighted mayors in
> (this list is in progress) Brazil, Britain, Colombia, Canada, France,
> Germany, and yes even the United States of America, have managed to
> turn around vital transport elements of their city and get them off
> the old path and onto that of a sustainable system (bit by bit). We
> hope to be able to share these with you before the end of the summer.
>
> Do you have candidates (let™s note that we have not yet identified
> anyone from Asia or Africa in this lot)? Do you have information on
> any of these mayors that should be integrated into the profiles? Let
> us know.
>
> Several of these cases are well known to all of you here “ for example
> the stories of Jaime Lerner and Enrique Peñalosa “ but others are less
> known.  And in any event I think that what will be important about
> this little collection is that by putting them next to each other and
> searching out the communalities and lessons in terms specifically of
> what is needed to break the old patterns, we will be able to help show
> the way for others.  After all, there have to be some mayors out there
> who are ready to go and who may need just this nudge to greatness.
>
> I would intend to post these, possibly one by one on the site over the
> two months ahead so that you will have an opportunity to comment,
> which comments we shall of course take into fullest consideration.
>
> Note: Is there anyone out there who would like to take on this task
> for us? Either the whole thing or individual profiles that I could
> then try to whip into shape so that the whole lot reads as of a piece.
>  I think it™s a important and timely challenge, and all offers of help
> will be gratefully received.
>
> Eric Britton
>
> PS. This could very nicely be sponsored by some international
> organization of local government, mayors or what have you.  Or a
> foundation or anyone else who thinks this could be important and worth
> doing. The only condition, in addition to our being pleased to take
> their money and have a high profile public rostrum to get the news
> out, is that they cannot in any way influence the work in progress or
> final product.  ;-)

Roelof Wittink, Director
I-ce = Interface for Cycling Expertise
Trans 3, 3512 JJ Utrecht, The Netherlands
tel: +31 (0)30 2304521  fax: +31 (0)30 2312384
email (general): i-ce at cycling.nl
email (personal): roelof.wittink at cycling.nl
website: www.i-ce.info