[sustran] Re: Information on 'Bike Taxi'

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 24 22:17:41 JST 2004

One thing which is needed is some sort of regulation over safety. The
motorbike drivers in Vietnam are even wilder than in Bangkok (and in
Bangkok, helmets must be provided for passengers, while there seems to be
no such requirement in Vietnam). Many of the bikes in Vietnam are in
terrible shape and the driving is insane (quite apart from the fact that
the drivers will do things like literally drive you across a mine field,
merrily pointing out the scattered munitions along the way...).

I had one driver take me up a mountain behind Da Nang. About two thirds
of the way up, we stopped. The bike could go no further with two bodies
on board. I got off and inspected the tires, which were absolutely bald,
and flagged down a bus...

There is also a crime issue. While nothing of the sort happened in
Vietnam, I came close to getting mugged in Phnom Penh while riding a
motorbike back to my hotel at night. The driver went away from the hotel
district into a dark area and slowed down as we headed towards some
sinister-looking guys hanging around in the street (I jumped off, ran like
crazy, and jumped on another bike down the road). You are definitely
vulnerable when traveling this way, compared to taking an ordinary taxi.

                                         --Jonathan

 -----

Jonathan E. D. Richmond                               02 524-5510 (office)
Visiting Fellow                               Intl.: 662 524-5510
Transportation Engineering program
School of Civil Engineering, Room N260B               02 524-8257 (home)
Asian Institute of Technology                 Intl.: 662 524-8257
PO Box 4
Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120                        02 524-5509 (fax)
Thailand                                      Intl:  662 524-5509

e-mail: richmond at ait.ac.th               Secretary:  Ms. Nisarat Hansuksa
        richmond at alum.mit.edu		              02 524-6051
					      Intl:  662 524-6051
http://the-tech.mit.edu/~richmond/