[sustran] Re: Information on 'Bike Taxi'

Viet Hung Khuat kviethung at gmx.de
Tue Aug 24 22:03:42 JST 2004

Hey all,
I am doing now my research regarding the strategic transportation system
management (demand management) for "motorcycle dependent city" like Hanoi
and many other cities in Vietnam. I hope that the finding of my research
will be a reference for some ones who try to have a high-density-mobility
transportation system with low cost and emissions. If you consider to a 100
km2 city, with 3 millions people, can live and have motorized daily traffic.
In my opinions, if we provide good management service for motorcycle flow,
some parking areas, small P+R facilities, and some two-wheels (NMV is alo
two wheels) only area, the city can archieve a sustainable situation with
very low cost. There is big problem that is the VNese goverment now is
starting to fire the Motorcyclist. This goverment is doing the same thing
with Beijing Goverment that is trying to fire the bicycles.
Regarding the MC taxi in Hanoi.
It is nice to see your positive evaluation about the Motorcycle taxi (MC
Taxi). I am agree to you that the MC taxi in Vietnam is the most effective
paratransit mode by: speed, space consumption, gasoline consumption,
mobility, ...
For the aspect of feeding bus service, if you have time to look at the major
bus station such as in front of Daewoo Hotel, Dien Bien Phu, or along the
road to Noi Bai Airport you can see many of MC taxis are waiting for bus
passengers to transfer them to their trip destinations.
>From this October, there is one Germany student (at TU Darmstadt) will start
his Diplome Thesis with the topic of "intermodal transport in Hanoi" that
will focuse in encourging the MC taxi - bus connection in order to find
win-win solution for both.
There is just a small problems, most of MC taxi drivers in Hanoi are free,
they are not registered in any union or league, thus no one protect their
benefit at all.
See all again,
Khuat Viet Hung

> Hey all, I also think this discussion is quite interesting, partly because
> the ability of motorbike taxis to providing a viable yet profitable
> service that is not directly subsidized by the government.
>
>  Especially in Southeast Asian cities, and increasing in African cities
> such as Kampala. The motorbike taxis provides the fastest mode of
> transportation for a competive price to places which are hard to service
> via other forms of transportation.
>
> In Hanoi, the motorbike taxi scheme increasings the viabilty of the
> regulated bus system. The fixed bus routes function as arterial routes
> into the central city, while the motorbike taxis function as feeders into
> the bus route. The effectiveness of this system can been seen in both the
> number of packed buses, as well as the number of motorcycle taxis that
> hang out at suburban bus stops.
>
> Unlike the regulated and expensive taxis, the motorbike taxis do not
> require extensive infrastructure improvements such as taxi waiting areas,
> and as Jonathon noted are not as subject to traffic congestion.
>
> The motorbike taxis are also able to provide door-to-door transportation
> service to people who live in highly dense and auto-inaccessible parts of
> town.
> Thus, Hanoi has been able to provide an efficent, flexible, competitevly
> priced, informal transportation network without investing heavily or
> relying on foreign investment to widen roads or improve mass transit.
>

> Concerning the discussion that NMT could provide the same service. In
> Vietnam, motorbike taxis have effectively replaced the non-motorized
> cyclos. Increasingly and ironically, cyclos only provide services to
> tourists wanting to get the "authentic Vietnamese experience." In fact one
> of the most luxurious hotels in Hanoi, the Sofitel Metropole employs a
> fleet of cyclos especially for the rich tourist who stay at the hotel.
>
> Like Paul, I have not seen any research concerning motorbike
> transportation, and would like to know if there has been any studies done.
>
> Craig Johnson

Khuat Viet Hung, M.Eng
(C/o: Prof. Manfred Boltze)
Institut fuer Verkehr, TU Darmstadt
Petersenstrasse 30, 64287 Darmstadt, Deutschland
Tel. : + 49-6151-16 2026
Fax:  + 49-6151-16 2045

NEU: Bis zu 10 GB Speicher für e-mails & Dateien!
1 GB bereits bei GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail