[sustran] Re: Motorcycles Transportation Vietnam

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Sat Apr 24 18:07:18 JST 2004

Craig,

I agree with your assessment. I visited Hanoi last year. After the initial
shock of the waves of two-wheelers, I began to understand that it really
does flow, sort of like a large shoal of fish, Each individual really does
have a sense of those around them, and behaves in a quite predictable way.
It's also clear that while they may look chaotic, each rider does behave in
a collision-avoidance mode. I did not once observe a collision or anyone
falling off their bicycle to avoid a collision. It's the first time I had
come across such level of two-wheeler use, and it was obvious that it works
really well.

My observation was that all forms of two-wheelers (even those with 12-foot
pipes!) can interact very well with each other. Further, pedestrians can
quite easily cross the flows, as long as you time it reasonably well and
behave predictably (my initially-terrified wife agreed on this one,
eventually).

However, the introduction of even one car into this changed the picture
dramatically. The scale of the car makes it a blockage, and the driving
style means that it barges its way through, unwilling or unable to interact
sensitively with the two-wheelers. I do not believe that cars and
two-wheelers on Hanoi scale can interact safely.

I didn't come to a conclusion about buses. Because there are far fewer of
them than cars, they are highly visible, and they drive slowly in a
predictable (albeit unyielding) way, it seems that a certain number of buses
can be absorbed in the flow of two-wheelers.

My personal opinion is that as a pedestrian I was far safer crossing the
streets of down-town Hanoi than almost any where else I have been.
Nonetheless, I believe that the promoters of automobiles will win, and that
very shortly two-wheeler travel will have become extremely dangerous due to
the number of cars. Since it is the mode of availability and affordability
for over 95% of Vietnamese, they will continue to use it and will suffer
high rates of casualty.

Brendan Finn,
ETTS, Ireland.

Contact details are : e-mail : etts at indigo.ie   tel : +353.87.2530286