[sustran] Re: Motorcycles Transportation Vietnam

Craig Townsend townsend at central.murdoch.edu.au
Wed Apr 21 04:58:26 JST 2004

I agree completely with Karl's points, and having also visited Ho Chi Minh City
(HCMC) briefly last month, I wanted to add some observations, which I
would be happy to hear your thoughts on.

-One difference between HCMC and some other Southeast Asian cities (particularly
Bangkok, KL, Manila, Jakarta) is that some of the massive trunk road capacity
(ie. mainly expressways) that has been built in those other cities has not been
built in HCMC. This will hopefully not change as high speed expressways make
cars attractive in urban environments that would otherwise not be suitable. The
World Bank had (has?) a project in HCMC to increase traffic flows
(http://www-wds.worldbank.org/servlet/WDSContentServer/WDSP/IB/1999/06/03/
000009265_3980901130124/Rendered/PDF/multi_page.pdf), but has not (yet?)
provided loans for expressways or trunk roads.

-Not just "enemies": motorcycles seem to be filling a void in the transport
system when public transport is absent and incomes are rising. I have heard that
motorcycles are now taking off in some African cities, suggesting that there may
be more universal forces at work. Also, it is worth pointing out that Taipei, in
Northeast Asia, has also been dominated by motorcycles, although this appears to
be changing as high quality rapid transit (rail and bus which are being
integrated) is being built.

-There may be some good news - a few years ago there was just one public bus
route in HCMC but last month I saw many more routes and I was told by a planner
that services have begun expanding rapidly. If anyone has information on this, I
would be interested in hearing it.

Best regards,
Craig Townsend