[sustran] Gender issues in urban transport

jeff turner jeffreymturner at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 19:08:10 JST 2003

Dear Ms Tao,

I agree, this sounds like a very interesting and much needed project. You
may be interested in work that myself and Professor Margaret Grieco of the
UK's Napier University have undertaken in recent years on gender and
transport, including papers on the point you make about the need to include
gender from the initial stages of the transport planning process. This work
is at:

http://www.geocities.com/transport_research

and

http://www.geocities.com/transport_and_society/genderedjourneys/

You may also be interested to know that the UK's Transport Research
Laboratory (who I work for), IFRTD and the Japanes consultants ICNET have
been undertaking a project for the World Bank on Integrating Gender into the
Bank's Transport Investment Programme. This study has undertaken 10 case
studies of issues around integrating gender into the transport planning
process. This is not yet complete and we can't release any publications from
it but it does include a Vietnamese partner who conducted research in
Vietnam, who you may wish to contact. She is called Vu Ngoc Uyen and her
e-mail is vnuyen at fpt.vn. The project officer for the project at the Bank is
Rakhi Basu at rbasu at worldbank.org.

In addition, for further resources and information you may be interested in
the site developed by City & Shelter, an Belgian NGO, on Gender and Mobilty
at:

http://www.cityshelter.org/13_mobil/start-mobil.htm

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jeff Turner
Jeff Turner Transport & Social Development Consultancy Ltd
2 Parkside Avenue
Meanwood
Leeds
LS6 4JD