[sustran] (Fwd) Re: Gender issues in urban transport

priyanthi.fernando at ifrtd.org priyanthi.fernando at ifrtd.org
Fri Oct 10 20:18:58 JST 2003

This bounced back, sorry..

Priyanthi
From:           	Self <priyanthi.fernando at ifrtd.org>
To:             	"Wendy Tao" <WENDYT at wri.org>, sustran-
discuss-bounces+priyanthi.fernando=ifrtd.org at list.jca.apc.org
Subject:        	Re: [sustran] Gender issues in urban
transport
Date sent:      	Thu, 9 Oct 2003 17:14:41 +0100

Dear Wendy

The IFRTD has recently worked with IC Net Japan, the Transport
Research Laboratory, UK on a World Bank funded project on a
project
that ws looking for best practice on integrating gender into the
transport sector. There was a case study on transport and gender in
Vietnam.  Suggest you get in touch with Rakhi Basu at the World
Bank
who is the task manager for this project (rbasu at worldbank.org) and
the
lead researchers IC Net (try Mika Kuneida on "Mika Kunieda"
<kunieda at icnet.co.jp>) for more information. You may also like to
get
in touch with Annabel Davis of the TRL who is working on integrating
social benefits in transport sector decision making and is carrying
out, or developing, a case study in Vietnam.  Other people who might
make good use of your interest are the Simon Lucas in DFID in Hanoi
(s-lucas at dfid.gov.uk) or Simon Ellis, working for the World Bank in
Hanoi (sellis1 at worldbank.org)  Hope this helps.  Do let me know
how
you get on  - Priyanthi Fernando, IFRTD

Bestwishs

OP

Oulod

You  On 9 Oct 2003 at 12:05, Wendy Tao wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I would like to do a research project on gender issues in urban
> transport, specifically focused on Vietnam (Hanoi and HCMC).
>
> As Hanoi and HCMC begin to plan their transport networks to
> accommodate the rapidly increasing urban area, an often
overlooked
> component that transport planners must face is the role of gender
in
> the design, implementation, communications, and marketing of a
system
> that should meet the practical and strategic needs of both men and
> women.  If gender issues are ignored in transportation planning,
there
> is a risk that women's access to the workplace is stifled,
> efficiency in public transport design is not maximized, and economic
> and
social
> gains for a large part of the population is not captured.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations on literature or institutes
focused
> on these sorts of issues?  If anyone works on these gender and
> transport issues themselves, I would love to connect and get some
> feedback on a few ideas.
>
> Thanks.
> WT
>

> Wendy Tao
> EMBARQ, The WRI Center for Transport and the Environment
> World Resources Institute
> 10 G Street, NE Suite 800
> Washington, DC 20002
> (phone) 202.729.7649
> (fax) 202.729.7798
> www.embarq.org

Priyanthi Fernando
Executive Secretary, IFRTD
113-114Spitfire Studios,
 63-71 Collier Street
London N1 9BE. United Kingdom
Tel: +44 20 7713 6699
Fax: +44 20 7713 8290
Email: 	priyanthi.fernando at ifrtd.org OR ifrtd at ifrtd.org
Web: www.ifrtd.org

IFRTD provides a framework for collaboration between individuals
and
organisations interested in issues of access & mobility as they affect
the lives of rural people in developing countries.

Email: 	priyanthi.fernando at ifrtd.org OR ifrtd at ifrtd.org
Web: www.ifrtd.org

IFRTD provides a framework for collaboration between individuals
and
organisations interested in issues of access & mobility as they affect
the
lives of rural people in developing countries.

_____________
Priyanthi Fernando
Executive Secretary
International Forum for Rural Transport and Development
2 Spitfire Studios
63-71 Collier Street
London N1 9BE
UK