[sustran] Kathmandu anti-public transport even-odd rule during SAARC’s summit

Rajendra Aryal rajendra.aryal at undp.org
Wed Jan 9 17:55:10 JST 2002

Dear friends,

Here is some more news from Kathmandu. This is a newsclip from today's
The Kathmandu Post.

Rajendra Aryal
Programme Officer
UN Capital Development Fund (UNCDF)

Odd, even number plates rule rejected

KATHMANDU, Jan 9 - The Department of Transport Management has rejected a
proposal of the Valley Traffic Police Office (VTPO) about the
continuation of odd and even number plates rule introduced during the
SAARC Summit.

The VTPO was considering to give continuation to the system even after
the conclusion of SAARC Summit but the proposed move was overruled by
the Department of the Transport Management, said an official at VTPO.

“We were planning to continue the system as we were much elated by the
public responses and even by the drivers. Moreover, the odd and even
number plates rule kept about half the vehicles off the streets in the
capital during the 11th SAARC Summit,” he adds.

Buddhi Shahi, a taxi driver, said that the rule does not affect our
business. In fact, we are earning more these days. But it was the
commuters who suffered a lot due to fewer vehicles plying on the streets
last week.

Meanwhile, VTPO officials said that all the public vehicles which were
following the odd and even number plates arrangements will ply on the
road beginning Wednesday.

Original message from:
http://www.kantipuronline.com/kol_news.html#Odd, even number plates rule
rejected