[sustran] Re: Banning NMT (Rickshaw) on roads of Dhaka city

Mohsin J. Sarker t9802 at cc.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Wed Nov 1 14:05:57 JST 2000

Yes Mr. Alok Jain, you are right with no doubt. One of the main criteria to
promote or one of the main requirements to sustain NMT and mass transit is
densely inhabited and mixed used land use pattern. I think Dhaka city is one
of the best-suited cities in the world to promote and sustain NMT and mass
transit under these criteria.

So why don't we think of NMT and mass transit based transportation system
for Dhaka city with NO PRIVATE VEHICLE, or at least with limited number of
automobile?   Look at Singapore, after building massive mass transit system
along with NMT facilities in 1970s', they have imposed various
Transportation Demand Management (TDM) measures to restrict automobile
usage. Now Singapore has become one of the models of city transportation
system in the world.

Mohsin J. Sarker
Regional Planning
Utsunomiya University