[sustran] Re: Banning NMT (Rickshaw) on roads of Dhaka city

Dr Kh Zahidul Hoque zahidul at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 1 13:47:46 JST 2000

Dear Mr Mohsin,

The important thing is that you cannot ban motorized transport (rather it
will increase in number)due to political or other reasons. And, Dhaka does
not have many three-lane or more lane roads. I think the capacity is already
exhausted to accommodate existing vehicles. Now, if you intend to convert
one out of the three lane for NMT, I think this won't solve the congestion
problem we are discussing. I would rather suggest construct exclusive lane
for NMT (rickshaw) where you have adequate space.

I think the best solution for Dhaka city would be to introduce /improvement
of an efficient  public transport (mass transport, etc.) system with true
traffic demand management. Converting existing existing lane for NMT might
not be a good solution to Dhaka city.

Regarding the Singapore example, so far I know Singapore does not encourage
NMT (except pedestrians). It practices and implements true travel demand
management. They do not say you cannot use the road. The concept is, you pay
when you use the road. This is one of the successful TDMs we should look at.

K Z Hoque
Singapore