[sustran] Re:Road Passenger Transport Regulation - another Question.

Paula Negron Poblete negronpp at MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Wed Feb 16 05:34:05 JST 2000

Is true that in developed countries, regulation covers a wide range of
aspects, including vehicles, quality of service and performance,
sometimes, benefits are also controlled. In developing countries, the
performance of the service is less regulated (there are a few exceptions),
the most important aspect is fares, so public authorities prefer to make
the point on this aspect, by establishing the common fare (like in Mexico
city). In those countries where informal transport is very common and has
the major part of the trips,  it's difficult to put standards on service,
so authorities prefer to make the point on the technical aspects of the
vehicles.
I agree with Alan P. Howes in the fact that a service-based approach can
give interesting results, but in order to make this, the first step is to
create a transport authority that can control not only the planning of
transport routes, but also the performance in the service, even if
sometimes this aspect remains difficult because of the participation of
informal transport.