[sustran] Road Passenger Transport Regulation - another Question.

Alan P Howes alanhowes at usaksa.com
Wed Feb 16 01:52:18 JST 2000

Thanks for the various contributions received re. the above.

Now a fairly specific question:

As far as I know, in "developed" countries regulation is applied to
services, rather than to vehicles. This is particularly the case for
buses - although there are also vehicle-based regulations to cover
safety aspects.

In less-developed regions, it seems that regulation is more often
applied solely to the vehicle - typically with a licence attached to
it relating to a specific route.

Am I right in the above, or is it an over-simplification? To me the
service-based approach has obvious advantages - what are the reasons
for it not being adopted more widely?

regards, Alan.
--
Alan Howes, Special Advisor (Operations)
Saudi Public Transport Company, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
alanhowes at usaksa.com
PLEASE DO NOT SEND LARGE MESSAGES (>100kB) WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE

*** A debt-free start for a billion people in the world's poorest  ***
*** countries - Jubilee 2000, http://www.jubilee2000uk.org         ***