[sustran] innovative funding for public transport

Kaarina Sarac kaarina.sarac at uts.edu.au
Wed Apr 5 09:30:32 JST 2000

APOLOGIES FOR MULTIPLE OR CROSS POSTINGS

I work with Mark Diesendorf at the Institute for Sustainable Futures,
University of Technology, Sydney, where one of our areas of interest
is the use of economic instruments to promote sustainability and
sustainable development.

At present we are looking for information on funding mechanisms which
have been, or could be used to fund public transportation systems in
innovative ways.  Specifically I am interested in the possibility of
re-couping the benefits of increased property values which result
from investment in public transport in areas which do not have these
services at present.  The benefits of the increase in property value
at present accrue to people / organisations which have little to no
financial input into new transport systems.

Are there any case studies of situations where the stimulation in
real estate markets from spending on public transport systems is
captured (or partially captured) in order to finance the transport
system?

Any information on systems (I expect these would be tax or levy
based) which have been used to fund public transportation systems or
infrastructure projects in this way, whether in the past, currently
or potentially in the future would be gratefully received.

Best regards

Kaarina Sarac
Research Consultant
Institute for Sustainable Futures