[sustran] Re: fwd comments on Brazil pedestrian situation

Ananthakrishnan ganant at vsnl.com
Tue Sep 21 12:22:51 JST 1999

Pedestrians are getting short shrift in India too. In Chennai, a city of 6
million inhabitants, the traffic engineers are doing the most puzzling of
things : getting rid of pavements to facilitate more road space for vehicle
users.
Media criticism seems to achieve nothing, as the wave of globalisation
bringing car borne mobility to the more affluent among Indians has made them
insensitive to the most basic of concerns.  They even tend to ignore the
fact that the moment they step out of their car, they become a pedestrian.
Their only worry : we need more space because there are more cars, so do
away with the pavements.
The most popular of the city's roads - Mount Road later renamed Anna Salai -
has no pavements at all, on several stretches, forcing people to compete
with vehicles.

G.Ananthakrishnan, Chennai-based journalist can be reached at Tel: + 91 44
8413942 , Fax: + 91 44 8415395.