[sustran] Re: fwd comments on Brazil pedestrian situation

Alan P Howes alanhowes at usaksa.com
Sat Sep 25 02:18:26 JST 1999

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:02:26 +0800, "Andrea" <andrea at mail.gravitt.org>
wrote:

>>Earlier this year, my company sent me to Brazil and many people warned me
>>that pedestrians never have the right of way and that I must yield to cars
>>at all times unless there was a specific pedestrian signal.

Surprisingly enough, this does not seem to be the case here in Saudi
Arabia - though it would be a brave pedestrian who assumed a car might
give way to him or her (particularly the latter). The Highway Code
(English version) has -

- "You should help the Children and woman in crossing the road." and

- "Do not put the pedestrians in danger with your car."

Mind you, it also has "Do not scare others unless you want to be
scared by them", and other such gems. And it fails to give any
instructions about priority to pedestrians when making right
(nearside) turns on red. And I have yet to meet another driver here
who has actually _seen_ the code in question, let alone read it!
--
Alan & Jacqui Howes, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (Formerly Perthshire, Scotland)
alanhowes at usaksa.com
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/alanhowes/  [Needs Updating!]

*** A debt-free start for a billion people in the world's poorest  ***
*** countries - Jubilee 2000, http://www.jubilee2000uk.org         ***