[sustran] tariff affordability study

Todd Litman litman at islandnet.com
Wed May 19 22:47:50 JST 1999

You may want to download our report "Evaluating Transportation Equity"
available at http://www.islandnet.com/~litman, which discusses this issue.

Some equity advocates argue that society should strive to insure that
"basic mobility" is affordable. Of course, this requires defining both
"basic mobility" and "affordability". Generally, this means that people
should be able to access essential services (medical care, food and other
household goods), employment and education without spending an excessive
portion of their income or time budget, or bearing excessive risk. This
justifies, for example, subsidies for public transit, discounted fares for
disadvantaged groups, and priority services for disabled travelers.

Road tolls, parking fees and increased fuel taxes are often criticized as
being regressive and inequitable, but this actually depends on how the
revenues are used. It is easy to structure price increases to benefit
lower-income/disadvantaged populations populations. For example, higher
fees on private automoible travel can be used to increase subsidies for
walking, bicycling and transit modes, providing a net benefit to the poor,
and helping to reduce traffic congestion and accident risk to motorists.
Incrased fuel taxes and tolls can be used to reduce other, more regressive
taxes.

Land use policies also have a lot to do with transportation equity. In
particular, if lower-income people do not have affordable housing toward
urban centers, they bear higher transportation costs. For example,
lower-income neighborhoods in most South American cities are at the urban
periphery, where commuting costs are high. Finding ways to provide more
affordable housing closer to employment centers can be an important part of
reducing the financial burden of transportation to lower-income households.
Similarly, improving services, such as schools and medical services to
lower-income areas can reduce the travel burden.

Sincerely,

Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"