[sustran] tariff affordability study

Harun al-Rasyid Sorah Lubis halubis at trans.si.itb.ac.id
Wed May 19 14:31:32 JST 1999

As mood in public utility management tends to go  for privatisation, tariff
setting and its adjustment is one of a crucial issue. In Britain, the mood
was started during the Tory (conservative) , as  they called it Thatcherism
at that time. Regarding transport related tariff, toll, road pricing, public
tranport, crossing, etc. I have never heard of the issue of tariff
affordability was discussed during that period.

Quite differently in Indonesia, as the wave of privatisation  is now started
to be adopted as a model  for the future  public utility management, issue
of tariff affordability become very relevant, as at least 50% of the sociey
are under the poverty line, as the result of the recent economic crisis.
Also the issue of public service obligation, to dictate how much should the
private provide service for the poor with low tariff, apart from the
commercial services.

I found quite many similar studies focused on sectors such as housing,
health, defence, BUT  not in  transport.

Anybody could pin point me of previous  tariff affordability (or ability to
pay) studies in the transport market ?

Kindly regards,

Harun al-Rasyid S. Lubis             http://trans.si.itb.ac.id
Traffic Lab, Transport Engineering Division
Dept. of Civil Engineering - ITB
Jl. Ganeca 10 Bandung 40132 - Indonesia
Tel/Facs. +62 22  250 23 50  halubis at trans.si.itb.ac.id