[sustran] Urgent help needed by CSE on its diesel campaign

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Wed Jul 7 21:49:26 JST 1999

BOUNCE sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org:    Non-member submission from
["SUNITA NARAIN" <sunita at cseindia.org>]

Dear Roger and friends at Sustran
You are going to be inundated with messages of help from us.
Thank you very much for writing to us when our case against
TELCO was raging. Sorry for not replying earlier but things have
been difficult.

As you know we have been pushing Indian car manufacturers to
get out of using diesel (which is kept cheap in India to subsidise
public transport and agriculture). TELCO -- the key Indian
manufacturer had filed a US$ 25 million case against us. They
withdrew the case three weeks later saying that they never meant
it. The details are on our site (cseindia.org). Last month we also
organised the top medical community to issue a statement on the
impact of diesel emissions on health. This has been widely
received (the statement and pictures of lungs of a person living in
clean rural India and Delhi are also on our site). We have also
published a detailed monograph on the issue of dieselisation of
private vehicles which can also be downloaded from our site.

We are getting a lot of public support and will be taking this issue
to the Supreme Court of India as well. We have already got the
court to order an advancement of standards -- Euro II standards
have been advanced by 5 years -- but now we will be asking for a
ban on private diesel cars. The Court has already ordered that all
public transport in Delhi has to move to CNG and other clean fuels
by March 2001.

We now need your help, in particular, to put pressure on the
multinational car companies -- Ford, Mercedes Benz, General
Motors and Toyota -- who are launching a number of new cars
running on diesel in India. As my colleague, Sandhya Sharma, has
written in an email that she sent to all of you, we are finding that
multinational car companies operating in India just do not want to
accept diesel as a public health issue. All these companies -- we
have just interviewed their CEO's -- insist that diesel is a "green
fuel". We have done a strong (possibly libellous) article on these
companies and the response of their CEOs. This is published in
the latest issue of our magazine, Down To Earth and will be on our
site in a day or so.

We need your help to put pressure on these companies to stop
selling diesel cars in Delhi -- which already has RSPM levels that
are 5-6 times the WHO standard and is literally choking on
particulate emissions.

Please let us know what you can do. We need to move fast as the
Supreme Court will be listening to the case again in 10-15 days
and we would like to put pressure on these companies and have a
public campaign.

We look forward to hearing from you. Sandhya's email has got
further details.

With warm regards
Sunita Narain

* NOTE CHANGE IN OUR EMAIL ADDRESS: PLEASE NOTE IT AS FOLLOWS  *
         CENTRE FOR SCIENCE AND ENVIRONMENT  ( CSE )
 41, TUGHLAKABAD INSTITUTIONAL AREA, NEW DELHI- 110 062
            TELE:        698 1110, 698 1124
                         698 3394, 698 6399
            FAX :        91-11-698 5879
            VISIT US AT: http://www.cseindia.org