[sustran] 20:20 Century Transport Icons - Cut 1 of idea for a cooperative

eric.britton at ecoplan.org eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Dec 8 18:46:11 JST 1999

Piotr Olszewski 	has written the observation that follows, to which I would
like to comment briefly, while at the same time working away to prepare a
more completed 20:20 construct that may in time be more worthy of your time
and attention.  Two quick points I would like to make which I hope may help
to clarify what we are about here:

1. First, the idea of the list as it stands thus far is not at all to
provide a compendium of "wonderful transport solutions" of our soon gone
century.  That list as it stands includes not only icons to which I think we
might usefully give more thought and attention, but also a certain number of
candidates for what, if my courage holds out, we may end up call the
"Transportation Hall of Shame" (a bit strong, really). I leave it to you for
now to see how that might work out and what should go where.

2. Point two is indeed good old Road Pricing, a terrific idea if every I
heard of one.  But there is, in the 20:20 view of things anyway, more than
one ways to price a road. For instance....
a. Piotr reminds us of Singapore of course, past and present, and that's
certainly one way.  This is, in my book, the choice of Real Men (which is
not me). If you are spoiling for a fight, try road pricing. You'll stay very
fit indeed since you will always have to keep moving.
b. But what about Road Pricing the Works, a.k.a. parking policy.

And that, dear friends, is why parking policy is not only a 20th century
icon (for all that we did and did not do with it, despite the fact that it
was right there all the time waiting for us to really put it to work).

Is this beginning to make any sense at all?

(Thanks to Piotr and for others of you who have gotten back to me with idea
and challenges that are great grist for this mill.)

Eric Britton

The Commons  ___  technology, economy, society  ___
Eric.Britton at EcoPlan.org     URL www.the-commons.org
Tel: +331.4326.1323 Videoconference +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
Fax/voicemail hotline: In Europe +331 5301 2896
Fax/voicemail hotline: In North America +1 888 522 6419 (toll free)

Conspicuous by its absence from Eric's list of 20th-century wonderful
transport solutions is Road Pricing.
However politically difficult it may be to implement in practice, it is
certainly an effective travel demand management tool. By reducing car usage
it shifts the balance in the urban transport system in the right direction
(i.e. towards sustainability).
The official website of the Electronic Road Pricing in Singapore is:
http://www.lta.gov.sg/erp/index.html
Unfortunately, there is no website describing ERP's low-cost predecessor,
the paper coupon-based Area Licensing Scheme which served its purpose of
controlling car use in the Singapore city centre for 23 years (quarter of
the century!). The only other similar traffic restraint scheme I'm aware of
is in use in Teheran.

Piotr Olszewski              colsze at ntu.edu.sg
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

(......)

(http://www.discoverfrance.net/France/Paris/Paris_metro.shtml
> --great idea but then again it's not 1900 any more)
> 17. Parking supply reduction
> 18. PRT (nice try)
> 19. Rickshaws
> 20. Smart