[sustran] Re: 20:20 Century Transport Icons - Cut 1 of idea for a cooperative

Piotr Olszewski (Assoc Prof) COLSZE at ntu.edu.sg
Wed Dec 8 14:44:02 JST 1999

Conspicuous by its absence from Eric's list of 20th-century wonderful
transport solutions is Road Pricing.

However politically difficult it may be to implement in practice, it is
certainly an effective travel demand management tool. By reducing car usage
it shifts the balance in the urban transport system in the right direction
(i.e. towards sustainability).

The official website of the Electronic Road Pricing in Singapore is:
http://www.lta.gov.sg/erp/index.html

Unfortunately, there is no website describing ERP's low-cost predecessor,
the paper coupon-based Area Licensing Scheme which served its purpose of
controlling car use in the Singapore city centre for 23 years (quarter of
the century!). The only other similar traffic restraint scheme I'm aware of
is in use in Teheran.

Piotr Olszewski              colsze at ntu.edu.sg
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

(......)

(http://www.discoverfrance.net/France/Paris/Paris_metro.shtml
> --great idea but then again it's not 1900 any more)
> 17. Parking supply reduction
> 18. PRT (nice try)
> 19. Rickshaws
> 20. Smart