[sustran] Re: Social Impact Assessment for Highway Development

Tony Barry tjb at pc.jaring.my
Mon Aug 9 21:35:55 JST 1999

At 12:55 7/7/99 +0800, you wrote:
>Dear sustran-discussers
>
>I have had a request for information from a Malaysian NGO about Social
>Impact Assessment for Highway Development
>
>Tamaddun Research Trust has been commissioned to look into this for a new
>proposed intercity expressway in the eastern part of Peninsular Malaysia.
>The terrain involved will include mainly rural areas but will cut accross
>some urban areas, on flat as well as hilly or even mountainous terrain, and
>may also involve displacement of people as well as natural habitats.
>
>They are at an early stage on exploring this issue and it is not my
>speciality. Can anyone please suggest some key references, useful websites
>or contacts to help them with this.
>
>I have one book from the World Bank, with a helpful section on social
>impacts. It is "Roads and the Environment: A Handbook", September 1994,
>Report TWU 13, The World Bank. It has a section on "Human and Social
>Environment".  Any additional references would be most appreciated.

I managed the first World Bank EIA on a road project back in 1991 for the
Jamuna Road (Bangla Desh) and somewhere have a variety of World Bank
publications from that time - I know they are not so easy to identify or
obtain so - if you have not got a comprehensivbe list of World Bank
publications I could look out mine _ after I move next week.

Tony Barry  FICE
EValue Engineering Sdn Bhd
www.evalueco.com

Kuala Lumpur