[sustran] Motorcyle Role in Urban Transport

Harun Al Rasyid Sorah Lubis halubis at trans.si.itb.ac.id
Wed Sep 30 11:57:21 JST 1998

In Indonesia motorcycle (m/c) population now is around 70% from the total
motor vehicle ownership. In some big cities, the statistics could be higher.
A direct explanation for this, one can say it is due to a twin problem of
low public transport performance and of high cost of car ownership, and/or
low purchasing power.  Many motorcyclists will switch to car drivers, once
they get money to own  car. Just for an illustration, owning car in Jakarta
is a must, otherwise you will even get more costly 'daily transport cost'.

In  places where no public transport route available, 'ojeg'  informal means
of public transport i.e. motorcyle is widely available in a row. Accident in
motorcyle come next after pedestrians.

Other interesting sight, for you who ever visited  the country, the brand in
the row are mostly Japanese motorcyle ranging the name from Kawasaki,
Yamaha, Honda, to name a few. which started to dominate other brand since
the late 60's.  In 1962, one still could found brand like , Victoria,
Dulati, Augusta, HD, BSA, Ariel, BMW, Norton, NSU, Triumph, Harley Davidson,
of course, all of which are very rare now adays.

Now I am  in the position to just start a study on issues of motorcycle use
in general, particularly in urban area. The sponsorship is also being
sought.

If anybody could pin point some studies related to the issues, it will be
very helpful.  In my mind I would touch a bit on the histrory, m/c
manufacturing or supply , m/c ownership modeling, safety and accident
record, managing mixed traffic on the road, motorcyle dedicated lane, for
example, and finally policy implication on encouraging using m/c both for
private and more widely public transport.

Kindly regards,

Harun al-Rasyid S. Lubis             http://trans.si.itb.ac.id
Traffic Lab, Transport Engineering Division
Dept. of Civil Engineering - ITB
Jl. Ganeca 10 Bandung 40132 - Indonesia
Tel/Facs. +62 22  250 23 50  halubis at trans.si.itb.ac.id