[sustran] Re: TDM and marketing

tkpb at barter.pc.my tkpb at barter.pc.my
Wed Sep 30 12:25:26 JST 1998

>Let me add a few thoughts to John Whitelegg's comments, who suggested that
>advertising alone has a limited role in changing travel habits. I tend to
>agree, coming at it from a slightly different perspective.

But we must not forget that marketing is more than just advertising.
European (especially Swiss ... and most especially Zurich's) public
transport systems have made great strides in improving their marketing
which has led to rewards in ridership and financial status.  This has
included some jazzy advertising, catchy slogans, and even "sexy" images
etc.

But more important has been a great deal of attention to the marketing
dimension of the product itself. This includes such things as:  excellent
information provision to customers; improved scheduling which makes for
easy transfers (such as timed-pulsed schedules); the full integration of
the network; innovative ticketing to encourage loyalty (such as monthly and
yearly passes offered at large discounts); etc.   Singapore has also been
making a big effort in this area since the early 1990s. I am not sure of
the best references on this but UITP in Brussels would have more details.

Paul

A. Rahman Paul BARTER,
SUSTRAN Resource Centre
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Phone: +603 274 2590 (or fax on request)
E-mail: <sustran at po.jaring.my> or <tkpb at barter.pc.my> (personal)

The SUSTRAN Resource Centre hosts the Secretariat of SUSTRAN (the
Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia & the Pacific).