[sustran] Re: sustran-discuss V1 #141

ROLAND YEO yeossr at pacific.net.sg
Fri Jan 30 00:20:51 JST 1998

Subject: [sustran] Asian economic crisis and transport

A very timely discussion on this matter indeed. The removal of subsidies on
petrol in Indonesia will increase the cost of using private cars as the main
mode of journey to work.  At the same time, the depreciating value of the
rupiah further contributes to the higher cost of owning imported cars.  It
appears that with the removal of preferential treatment for the Timur Car
project, the nation is caught between a rock and a hard place.  Given these
hard times, it is logical to assume that the demand for public transport,
particularly in a major city like Jakarta, will increase significantly.

However, the capital city's public transport system is not ready to take on
this challenge both in terms of fleet capacity and the service level
provided.  So, to answer Paul's question in around about way, the removal of
the petrol subsidy must be tied with the provision of alternate
transportation such as increasing the total operating fleet of buses (I
think that they have only something like 2000 or less buses deployed on the
road at any time), and regulating the industry such that the bus service
level is adequate both peak and off peak, and safe buses.  These have not
been spelled out and clearly adhered to by the operators to date.

Roland