[sustran] PCU equivalents in India

Prof S L Dhingra dhingra at civil.iitb.ernet.in
Sun Jan 18 00:07:34 JST 1998

To: hameedab at rmoc.on.ca
Cc: Prof S L Dhingra <dhingra at gemini.civil.iitb.ernet.in>
Subject: Capacity Standards in India!!

Dear Professor,

Your mail to WIN was forwarded to us for  a  response.  Although
the response is delayed, I hope you have not  lost  interest  in
it. I am giving the information you wanted, and please feel free
if you have any querry on the materail given below. There is  no
highway capacity manual in India; but there are  some  tentative
guidelines provided by Indian Roads Congress  based  on  various
studies carried out within India. These details and their  basis
is given below.

Yours sincerely

P. K. Sikdar

FOR RURAL ROADS
1. under normal circumstances LOS B is considered adequate for  design
of rural highways where volume  of  traffic  will  be  0.5  times  the
capacity and this is taken as the 'Design Serrvice Volume'.

2. under exceptional circumstances LOS C is allowed  for  design  where
'Design Service Volume' for LOS C is taken 40% higher than  those  for
LOS B.

3. Recommended design service volume for two lane roads are  given  as
follows.
Terrain  Curvature                    Design Sevice Volume

Plain          Low (0-50)               15,000
               High(>51)                12,500
Rolling        Low(0-100)               11,000
               High(>101)               10,000
Hilly          Low(0-200)                7,000
               High(>201)                5,000
4. The values recommended above are based on the assumption  that  the
road has a 7.0m  wide  carriageway  and  good  earthen  shoulders  are
available. The capacity figures relate to peak  hour  traffic  in  the
range of 8-10% at LOS B.

5. The capacity of two lane road can be increased  by  providig  paved
and surfaced shoulders of at least 1.5m width on  either  side.  Under
these circumstances 15% increase in capacity can be expected.

6. Reduction in capacity due to restriction in shoulder or carriageway
width is siggested as follows.
                       Capacity Reduction Factor
Usable Shoulder        3.50m     3.25m     3.00m
width in m              Lane      Lane      Lane
>1.8                     1.00      0.92      0.84
1.2                      0.92      0.85      0.77
0.6                      0.81      0.75      0.68
0                        0.70      0.64      0.58
Usuable shoulder width refers to well  maintained  earth/moorum/gravel
shoulder which can safely permit occasional passage of vehicles.

7. The RUCS 1990 developed the  speed-flow  relationships  for  2-lane
roads with and without paved  shoulders  in  plain  terrain  as  given
below.
                            Without Shoulder       With Shoulder
1. New Technology Car        V = 85.45 - 0.0170Q  V = 87.16 - 0.0076Q
2. Old Technology Car        V = 67.96 - 0.0120Q  V = 68.39 - 0.0040Q
3. Light Commercial Vehicle  V = 65.96 - 0.0130Q  V = 70.06 - 0.0064Q
4. Heavy Commercial Vehicle  V = 58.96 - 0.0079Q  V = 60.35 - 0.0062Q
5. Buses                     V = 66.79 - 0.0130Q  V = 69.74 - 0.0036Q
6. Two Wheeler               V = 51.58 - 0.0069Q  V = 54.87 - 0.0063Q

8. Recommended PCU Factors for Various types of Vehicle on Rural Roads

No.    Vehicle Type                          Passenger Car Equivalency
1.   Motor Cycle or Scooter (2-Wheeled)                0.50
2.   Passenger Car, Pick-up van, Auto rickshaw         1.00
3.   Agricultural Tractor, Light Commercial Vehicle    1.50
4.   Truck or Bus                                      3.00
5.   Truck-trailer, Agricultural Tractor-trailer       4.50
6.   Bicycle                                           0.50
7.   Cycle Rickshaw (Pedel)                            2.00
8.   Hand Cart                                         3.00
9.   Horse-drawn Vehicle                               4.00
10.  Bullock Cart                                      8.00
FOR URBAN ROADS

9.Urban  Roads  are  classified  as   Arterials,   Sub-atrerials   and
Collectors.

Arterials      :No frontage access, no standing vehicles, very  little
                cross traffic
Sub-arterials  :Frontage  development,  side  roads,  bus  stops,   no
                standing vehicles and waiting restrictions.
Collectors     :Free frontage access, parked vehicles, bus  stops,  no
                waiting restrictions.

10. For urban roads, generally LOS C is adopted for design  where  the
volume of traffic is around 0.7 times the capacity.   The  recommended
design service volume (corresponding to LOS C) for two lane roads  are
as follows.
Type of Carriageway           Total Design Service Volume
                              Arterial  Sub-arterial   Collector
Two Lane (One way)            2400      1900           1400
Two Lane (Two way)            1500      1200            900

* Recommended PCU values for different  types  of  vehicles  in  urban
roads
No.    Vehicle Type                               Equaivalency Factor
                                                       5%     >= 10%*
1.   Motor Cycle or Scooter (2-Wheeled)                0.50   0.75
2.   Passenger Car, Pick-up van                        1.00   1.00
3.   Auto-rickshaw (3-Wheeled)                         1.20   2.00
4.   Light Commercial Vehicle                          1.40   2.00
5.   Truck or Bus                                      2.20   3.70
6.   Agricultural Tractor-trailer                      4.00   5.00
7.   Bicycle                                           0.40   0.50
8.   Cycle Rickshaw (Pedel)                            1.50   2.00
9.   Horse drawn vehicle                               1.50   2.00
10.  Hand Cart                                         2.00   3.00
* Refers to the proportion of same vehicle in the traffic stream.

***********end of message*******************
* Dr S. L DHINGRA                          *
* Prof. of TRANSP. SYSTEMS ENGG. (TSE)     *
* HEAD, CIVIL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT       *
* INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY           *
* POWAI,BOMBAY-400 076,INDIA               *
* VOICE:091-022-5782545 EXTN 7329/7300(Off)*
*		5786530  ..  7348(LAB)     *
*  			     8329(RES)     *
*		5767300/01(O)/8329(R) DID  *
*               5777001(RES) Private       *
* FAX :091-022-5767302/5783480             *
* GRAMS:TECHNOLOGY,BOMBY,INDIA             *
* TELEX:011-72313 IITB IN                  *
* EMAIL:dhingra at gemini.civil.iitb.ernet.in *