[sustran] PCU equivalents for NMT in India

Paul Guitink pguitink at worldbank.org
Wed Jan 14 08:14:45 JST 1998

The argument made by Dr Rajeef Saraf for the Delhi case implies that PCU
equivalents are not based on technical considerations, but also take into
account the motorized drivers preferences: at low traffic volumes, they will
probably avoid to use the right lane, but what if traffic volumes are very high
(congestion) and there is a 'free' right lane?  Furthermore, if we accept this
calculation, PCU equivalents for bicyclists will go up drastically as well: even
at relatively low volumes of bicyclists in the right lane, faster motorized
vehicles will avoid this lane: however, if the other lanes are congested and
non-motorized vehicles in the right lane move faster, the motorized vehicles
don't have a problem to mix with them.

If this interpretation is accepted, we need to review as well the PCU equivalent
of buses: in many cities, the right lanes are almost exclusively used by
(micro)buses loading and unloading at will and thus reducing capacity
drastically; a PCU equivalent of 10-12 for small buses (up to 20 passengers)
would seem appropriate in that case in, for example, Accra (Ghana). The same
argument can be made for taxis, tro-tro's, etc.

However, I agree with Dr Rajeef Saraf and some other participants in this
discussion that the PCE methodology is questionable.

best regards,

Paul Guitink