[sustran] PCU equivalents for NMT in India

Dr.Rajeev Saraf sarafrk at cbme.iitd.ernet.in
Mon Jan 12 14:46:43 JST 1998

I do not agree with Kerry when he says that the road space does not go
waste. May be at the intersections when traffic is queued up waiting for
the green signal.
However, on the link, a de facto segregation takes place between
motorised and non motorised modes even if the volume of the NMT is quite
low. Even if there are few rickshaws or cyclists in the curb lane, the
curb lane does not get used by motorised traffic. In that case, PCU
values of cycle rickshaws would be very high. This is true for cities
like Delhi where motorised mode is still a dominant mode. There the PCU
value of Cycle rickshaw would be quite high.
The point I am trying to make is that the usage of a lane by MT where NMT
exists ( mostly curb line side) is nearly independent of the volume of NMT.
However, if only pedal rickshaws were using one lane and there was no
other mode ( under ideal conditions of excellent riding surface and zero
slope), then throughput could reach 1400 rickshaws per hour per lane
which would give a PCU value of approximately 1.3 PCUs. However, this
throught degrades very fast with surface quality and little slopes and of
course, loading. Keeping these in mind and taking average conditions, a
PCU value of 3 as suggested by Indian Road Congress (IRC) may be
acceptable.
I however still question the whole philosphy of PCU in the first place.

Dr Rajeev Saraf                 |
Urban and Transport Planner     |
SENIOR PROJECT SCIENTIST        |      PHONE : 91-11-6858703
APPLIED SYSTEM RESEARCH PROGRAM |      EMAIL : sarafrk at cbme.iitd.ernet.in
IIT DELHI 110016                |      FAX   : 91-11-6862037
INDIA                           |