[sustran] Mixed (motorized and non-motorized) transportation and Landuse.

Md. Mohsin Jahangir Sarker t2962813 at cc.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Fri Apr 17 11:08:47 JST 1998

Hello everybody

Non-motorized vehicle is the most cost effective transportation mode
especially for short trips. It is also sustainable for our community.
Because, it is non-polluting, energy conservative, traffic calming, cheap,
takes very small space, widely available, easily accessible and so on. For
long trips we can use the combination of  non-motorized transport mode and
mass transit mode. So, what type of land use patterns is sustainable for
this type of sustainable transportation system ?

You know that land use pattern of South-Asian countries is more or less
mixed type and population density of these countries is also very high.
About 25% to 80% trips are of non-motorized transport (bicycle, cycle
rickshaw, etc.). So, again  what type of transportation systems is better
or best for the land use pattern of South-Asian countries. I think maximum
will suggest  for mass transit system. But what will be the transportation
mode to access the stations of mass transit system ?

I am really interested to do my Ph.D. research work on this field : Mixed
(motorized, especially mass transit and non-motorized) transportation and
land use. And, I am interested to know, how much works have been done in
this field and what are they, and what are recent scopes available to do
research in this field.

So, I will be very much grateful to you all, if you please inform me
something whatever you know on this regard. Thanks Mr.  Jerry Schneider for
your worthwhile response. Your ITT web site is really helpful. Thanking you
all in anticipation.

Mohsin J. Sarker
Ph.D. student
Regional planning