[sustran] poverty alleviation and basic mobility

Ramon Fernan III cycad at epic.net
Tue May 13 23:48:52 JST 1997

Walter Hook wrote:
>I am currently working on a policy paper for the United Nations Development
>Program, and am seeking additional sources which quantify the relationship
>between urban transport policies and projects and urban poverty.  I have
>excellent rural data but am finding there to be little on transport and
>poverty in urban areas.   Any sources you may know of, I would be grateful.

Hey, Walter, funny of you doing a paper on this. I was just in a workshop on
sustainable cities here in Tagaytay sponsored by UNDP AP2000 and I had
broached the issue as a possible point of unity between urban poor and
housing activists and sustran activists. One will probably have no trouble
conceptually connecting the two but linking them "in the field" is another
matter. Housing and urban poor activists hardly talk about transport issues.
The majority of NGO reps at that workshop were from urban poor and housing
rights organizations. I would ask people to relate practical experiences in
linking the two. Send the academic stuff to Walter.

As an intro -- I'm Ramon Fernan III from the Philippines. I belong to a
local cycling advocacy group (Cycling Advocates or CYCAD (transport &
biodiversity?)) and participate in the local sustainable  transport network
(Sustainable Transport Forum). I certainly hope this doesn't become a car
sharing discussion list or even an electric car list (is car flaming ok?
cycling flames welcome). Anybody done life cycle analysis on electric cars
and the use of electricity in transport?

Ramon Fernan III
CYCLING ADVOCATES (CYCAD)
1563 Pasaje Rosario
Paco 1007 Manila