[sustran] poverty alleviation and basic mobility

A. Karp machia at u.washington.edu
Wed May 14 02:00:42 JST 1997

|*--------------------------------------*|
|   Machiavellian Polyglot Cyclommuter   |
| 	        ADAM KARP                |
| University of Washington School of Law |
|        *machia at u.washington.edu*       |
|	   ------------------            |
|	 	  Read                   |
|	         DOCKET                  |
| "All the Evidence That's Fit to Admit" |
|    (www2.law.washington.edu/Docket)    |
|           ------------------           |
|  	      (206) 729.9579             |
|*--------------------------------------*|

Ramon Fernan said:
> I certainly hope this doesn't become a car
> sharing discussion list or even an electric car list (is car flaming ok?
> cycling flames welcome). Anybody done life cycle analysis on electric cars
> and the use of electricity in transport?

	I must share Ramon's worry in that I, too, am a cyclommuter first.
In this sense, I guess all cyclo-centric advocates are sustainable
transport radicals.  But I am also a political pragmatist.  While
car-sharing is at best a step on the path toward the retirement of private
single, or even double, occupant vehicles, it is still a strategy of
and appeasement.
	It is also, however, extremely politic.  For this I admire it.
Let's face it Ramon, cycling will never be wholeheartedly accepted as the
primary means of transportation for any society where freight and mass
passenger transport is concerned.  Though some manufacturers have created
commercial four-wheelers able to haul over 500 lbs., and while Indians and
Chinese may use ox-trikes for heavy tonnage, it is impractical to rely on
these means for long-distance freight transport.  Mass transit, bus or
rail, especially if complemented with alternative fuel technologies, are
better for the greater number of people who are (a) not in shape, (b)
infirm, or (c) aged.  For the sake of the environment and fostering a
sustran state of mind, it is mass transit and rail movement of freight,
and provisional policies like car-sharing, that will achieve the fastest
psychological and political gains, and, simultaneously, clear the road for
bicycles.
	In an ideal world, everyone should welcome the joys of
cyclommuting.  In a world with less cars and trucks, and more safe
bikeways, this ideal could quickly become a reality.  Car-sharing is one
way to begin this metamorphosis.

********************************

Suggested new, or additional topic:

	Has anyone heard of large public (or private) works projects for
dedicated bikeways?  Los Angeles has rumored about putting in a 20-mile
elevated bikeway/freeway connecting the beaches to East L.A.  Seattle has
also discussed building one-way bike tunnels (more like 15-foot in
diameter tubes) aided by 30-mph tailwinds (as generated by large fans)
which might track the right-of-ways of existing rail lines or freeways.
	I'd be very interested in learning about such
bike/ped/roller-blade-focused projects being contemplated or undertaken
around the world.  This is especially interesting since next year I'll
begin studying for my M.S.E. in Transportation Engineering and Planning.
	On a sad note, I discovered that Prof. Schneider, who wrote in
earlier to this list, has retired from Civil Engineering at the University
of Washington.  This means that his class on Human-Powered Vehicles will
no longer be taught.  Furthermore, another professor in Electrical
Engineering at the same university, one dedicated to bicycle transport,
has also retired.  Apparently, there is little faculty support left for
non-motorized transport.  What a sad time for me to be beginning.  But
also, what a wonderful opportunity!

Adam Karp
(my contact info is at the beginning)