[sustran] Non-Motorised Transport and Related Issues

Moses Burnett ob110ob at IDT.NET
Thu Jun 5 21:31:38 JST 1997

Paul Barter wrote:

> Ramon Fernan wrote, in response to the mention of forthcoming "South
> cycling studies":
> >South realities:
[...]

   The issues addressed in this post, if subtly, indicate that much work
off net needs to be done in these developing countries. The problems
that we have most to fear is that motorized transport will be
popularized via the affluence angle and embelished/glamourized and
wrapped into to the social structure.  Where once embeded it will be as
difficult to remove there as it is in the western cultures.

  What I see that can be done in the short term is, that people in these
areas should copy and print information about industrialized nations car
reduction efforts as well as the problems we are facing in doing so, and
post them on local bulliten boards so that a process of spreading a view
of the other side of the coin can start as early as possible.

  Obwon