[sustran] Non-Motorised Transport and Related Issues

Dharm Guruswamy dharm at trec.ce.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 4 13:27:23 JST 1997

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Paul Barter wrote:

> By the way, my impression (perhaps wrong?) of the "Standing Committee on
> Non-Motorised Transport and Related Issues in Developing Countries" at the
> Washington Transportation Research Board (TRB) meetings is that it involves
> a good number of developing country (or at least non-western) people too. I

That is a very astute observation and Dr. Pendakur was asking for a
exception to a TRB rule that limits the number of foreign members on a
individual committee.

> My imppression is that TRB is very influential and the proceedings are very
> widely disseminated. So having progressive developing country issues
> discussed there may well be one of the fastest ways to get such ideas to
> the top professionals in many countries?? (I could be wrong).  But Ramon

Again a very astute observation.  TRB is held annually in Washington every
January and virtually everybody in the transportation research community
that can afford to makes the pilgrammage at least every couple of years
(if you are in the US you go every year).  The fact about proceedings is a
VERY important fact, because under Setty's leadership the Task Force that
was the predessor to the committee produced more Transportation Research
Records (TRR's) than the bicycle and pedestrian committee's did combined.
TRR is widely available and each individual article is cataloged by the
Institute for Transportation Studies at UC-Berkeley so people searching on
OCLC's Worldcat database or UC-Berkeley's catalog's over the internet can
find information about a topic contained in a TRR article.  TRB is moving
towards improving dissemination and last year they produced a CD-ROM with
all the TRR's which they mailed free of charge to all conference
attendees.  This year they plan to distribute a CD-ROM with all pre-prints
which is fabulous.  These CD-ROM's are available to the general public at
a reasonable charge and this should make access to those in developing
countries more affordable.

---
Dharm Guruswamy - 3rd year grad. student, City Planning & Civil Engineering
snail mail: 960 Atlantic Drive NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
phone/fax: HOME (404) 685-3294  WORK (404) 894-6402
internet:dharm at trec.ce.gatech.edu | URL: http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~dg63