[sustran] Freight Tricycles

John Brooks jbrooks at peeras.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 20:01:53 JST 1997

In article <199708252211.SAA07551 at mailnet.rdc.cl>, Christopher Zegras
<chris at mailnet.rdc.cl> writes
>Hi all,
>
>A local NGO here is trying to redesign currently used freight tricycles to
>increase loading capacity for "recolectores," individuals engaged in
>Santiago's 'informal' recycling program.  The idea of their program is to
>optimize a design, balancing financial and technical needs, and have a local
>bicycle manufacturer build the new models.  Eventually, these tricycles
>could probably be sold for many of the other freight-tricycle services in
>Santiago.

I assume this refers to a 'human-powered vehicle' and not a dreadful 2-
stroke smoke-generator.  :=)

There is such a machine on the market here in UK.   Actually it has 4
wheels and can carry a freight box or (2) passengers on a bench seat
behind the rider.  The rider is in a 'semi-prone' position, with pedals
in front, between front wheels.  It has (lots of) gears, hydraulic
brakes, differential, independent suspension, ...

The advantages are that the machine is very stable, robust, can carry
quite a load and is, of course, 'sustainable'.

The disadvantages (from your perspective) are numerous, I suspect:
expensive to make (especially brakes, transmission), far too expensive
to buy and import.

However, there may be opportunities to licence some of the (patented?)
aspects of the design rather than reinvent the wheel (or the whole
machine:=)  )  There might be wider opportunities for local manufacture
for other markets - I can locate the manufacturer / design owner for you
quite easily.
--
John Brooks  - Technical Consultant, Energy, Network Systems and Data Comms
South Croydon, 7,CR2 7HN, UK Tel: (44) 181 681 1595 Fax: (44) 181 649 7536