[asia-apec 1727] Please endorse APEC forest trade letter

A. Paige Fischer apfischer at igc.org
Sat Feb 3 03:49:04 JST 2001

[The deadline for endorsements for this letter has been extended until
February 9.  Please sign on if you haven't already.]

Dear Asia-Pacific activists:

The Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) has targeted numerous forest
protections as trade barriers in its recent "Study of Non-Tariff Measures
(NTMs) in the Forest Sector."  Examples of NTMs listed in the study include
logging bans, forest certification, raw log export bans and protections
against invasive species in such countries as Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua
New Guinea, Chile, Australia, New Zealand and the USA.  The study implies
that these forest protection measures may be eliminated in pending forest
liberalization discussions.

Please endorse the following letter, written by Pacific Environment, Sierra
Club, Friends of the Earth and others, demanding that the US Trade
Representative halt trade negotiations that threaten forest protections and
conduct environmental reviews and consult citizens on forest trade proposals.

By Friday, February 9 please:

1)  Read the following letter that US environmental groups submitted in
response to a request for comment from the US Trade Representative (USTR).

2)  Send your name, title, organization and contact information to Paige
Fischer <perc at igc.org> 510-251-8838 (fax).  We will add your name to the
list of endorsers and resubmit the letter on Friday, February 9.  We will
also let you know of any responses we receive.

Thank you for your support!

Paige Fischer
perc at igc.org

February 9, 2001

Barbara Norton, Director of Information Industry and Chemical Industry
Trade Policy
Office of the US Trade Representative
600 17th Street N.W.
Washington D.C.  20508
Fax:  202-395-9674

RE:  Comments from Interested Parties on the APEC Study of Non-Tariff
Measures in the Forest Sector.

Dear Ms. Norton:

The Pacific Environment and Resources Center and the other undersigned
groups thank the USTR for providing an opportunity for interested parties
to comment on the "APEC Study of Non-Tariff Measures in the Forest Sector"
as stated in an October 30 memorandum from Acting Assistant US Trade
Representative, Dominic Bianchi.

The undersigned # organization from # countries submit their views to you
on the content of the APEC NTM study and the process that the USTR is
following in its work on Non-Tariff Measures.  The study offers an alarming
"laundry list" of potential trade barriers, many of which we consider to be
legitimate environmental safeguards.  However, the study does not refer to
any specific proposed actions upon which to comment, leaving us to assume
that the measures identified as NTMs may actually be considered for
elimination in APEC.  We hope our comments will impact the course of NTM
discussions at APEC and other trade fora.

COMMENTS ON PROCESS

In our view the APEC NTM study's listing of a large number of forest
conservation and sustainable management measures as trade barriers warrants
a re-evaluation based on US Government environmental objectives and a
closer consultation with stakeholders.  We call on the USTR to reconcile
the APEC NTM initiative with its publicly stated commitment (December 2,
1999) to opposing trade liberalization that threatens legitimate forest
protection measures.  We also would like to know how the USTR plans to
follow the guidelines for environmental reviews of trade initiatives in
natural resource sectors under Executive Order 13141.

We would like to provide comments on the study but also want to understand
how to make our comments as pertinent and useful as possible.  In our
August 29 letter to USTR, some of the undersigned groups sought
clarification on the purpose and process for the NTM study review.  We
requested more information about any US proposals regarding NTMs and the
forestry experts group and the USTR's plans for incorporating public
comment into NTM discussions. The USTR has neither acted on our August 29
recommendations nor met our requests for more information.

We feel that public consultation on the APEC NTM study has been less than
adequate. For example, less than half of the seven organizations that
signed the August 29th letter received the October 30th notification about
the comment period on the study.  We hope that USTR will correct lapses in
the notification process and ensure that the public has full opportunity to
comment on trade liberalization initiatives, especially in matters of
environmental protection and natural resource management.  We also urge the
USTR to follow through with its September 13 commitment, in a letter to
Pacific Environment and Resources Center, to "consulting carefully with
interested stakeholders to take fully into account the environmental
implications - whether positive or negative - of particular NTMs here at
home and in other countries."

The undersigned groups ask that the USTR provide us with information about
mechanisms for public dialogue and how interested parties can participate
in discussions about NTMs at APEC and other fora.  We would like
information about the proposed forestry experts group, how it relates to
NTM identification and liberalization, and how it will pursue the
environmental objectives of the US Government and its constituents.

COMMENTS ON CONTENT

We are extremely concerned about the potential implications of the study,
especially the listing of a large number of forest conservation and
sustainable management measures as NTMs and the suggestion that they are
unacceptable impediments to trade.  The study also implies an increase in
the volume of traded forest products, underscoring the need for adopting -
not eliminating - environmental safeguards to mitigate forest
destruction.  We are concerned in particular with the study's listing of
certification and recycled content policies, logging bans, raw log export
restrictions and phytosanitary standards as NTMs that might potentially
face removal.  It is clear that the elimination of many of these important
safeguards by APEC or any other trade forum will negatively impact forests
in the US and around the world.

We also find to be problematic the ambiguous and often contradictory way in
which NTMs are defined because it results in the inclusion of a number of
environmental measures that should not be in the purview of trade
negotiators.  The study has sought to describe and analyze a large number
of policies that may have an impact on trade. This could conceivably
include the universe of governmental as well as private sector policies,
all of which could theoretically present some impediment to trade. The
focus on "socially and environmentally motivated NTMs" is contradictory. On
the one hand, the authors find that "environmental NTMs are not technically
trade impediments" and on the other hand define NTMs as "restrictions which
act as [trade] impediments."  Included in the list of "NTMs" are legitimate
environmental policies and initiatives such as certification and recycled
content policies, logging bans, raw log export restrictions and
phytosanitary standards. Inclusion under the rubric of "NTM" implies that
all these measures are categorically trade-restrictive policies and that
increasing the volume of trade has de facto priority over a country's
domestic environmental goals.

We find the inclusion of the following categories and specific forest
protection measures for potential liberalization unacceptable.  We propose
that the categories and examples of forest protection measures listed below
be removed entirely from any list of NTMs that the US will consider for
potential elimination.  We also may contest the inclusion of other
environmental protections in subsequent NTM lists and negotiations.

Environmental Protections that should not be listed as NTMs:

LOGGING BANS AND HARVEST RESTRICTIONS: The authors themselves have pointed
to logging bans that had the desired effect of curbing massive
deforestation, erosion and flooding.  A number of bans in place in the US
and elsewhere are legitimate measures to protect habitat for endangered
species.  Examples listed in the study include the logging ban that China
instituted to curb massive deforestation that has led to erosion and
flooding, the US Endangered Species Act which restricts logging in certain
areas to conserve habitat and New Zealand's Forest Amendment Action which
prohibits natural forest logging without an approved sustainable management
plan.

SUBSIDIES AND INCENTIVES FOR AFFORESTATION: When applied in the appropriate
context, these are important incentives for reclamation of degraded lands
and protection of natural forestlands.  They also have the potential to
stimulate local communities towards sustainable development.  Examples
listed in the study include the financial incentives that China, the
Republic of Korea and the US provide for reforestation and afforestation,
and Thailand's government funded tree planting schemes for community forestry.

RECYCLING AND EMISSION CONTROL POLICIES: Measures are in place in the US
and other APEC member countries that reduce the use of toxic chemicals and
prevent non-recycled paper from out-competing recycled paper. Examples
listed in the study include Japan's restrictions on formaldehyde emissions
from building products and limits on brightness in paper that prevent
non-recycled paper from out-competing recycled paper, the US' minimum
standards for waste paper content in newsprint, and the Republic of Korea's
ban on imports of wood preservative chemicals and wood treated with such
chemicals.

PROCUREMENT AND USAGE POLICIES: Local and national procurement policies,
especially requirements for recycled content, can have a significant
positive effect on forest conservation. Examples cited in the study include
state and local governments' environmental specifications for wood products
used in public projects, the US federal minimum recycled content law of 40%
and the measures that the Government of Japan is taking to significantly
reduce wasteful plywood use within three years.

CERTIFICATION AND ECO-LABELLING INITIATIVES:  Certification and
eco-labeling are natural market responses to the demand for more
environmentally responsible products. Such programs do not belong in the
study or in any list of NTMs to be negotiated, particularly if they are
private, voluntary efforts to promote use of eco-friendly products, such as
the US Certified Forest Products Council, the UK 1995+ Group, Green Seal,
and the Forest Stewardship Council.

LOG EXPORT BANS: When applied alongside domestic conservation measures,
export bans or limits, both in the US and in the Asia-Pacific region, can
stimulate more efficient use of raw materials and help take the pressure
off of the national forest estate.  Examples listed in the study include
restrictions in the US, Indonesia, Vietnam, Papua New Guinea on the export
of unprocessed wood such as raw logs to stimulate local and more efficient
processing and to reduce volume of wood extracted from forests.

PROTECTIONS AGAINST EXOTIC PESTS AND DISEASES:  Phytosanitary measures have
been imposed by several APEC member countries to control transmission of
pests and disease. Where there has been shown to be a real danger, such
policies have been recognised as legitimate defenses. Examples listed in
the study include phytosanitary measures in Australia that require kiln
drying and restrict imports of sawn timber containing bark, measures in
Japan that require inspection and fumigation of logs under all
circumstances, measures in Mexico that require all US sawn timber to be
certified to have come from pest-free areas, and measures in the US to
require that solid wood packing material from China be heat treated or
fumigated.

The study's quantitative analysis projects an increase in volume of traded
forest products, which only underscores the need for maintaining or
enhancing - not eliminating - environmental safeguards to prevent forest
degradation or destruction.  It is clear that the potential elimination of
many of these important safeguards by APEC or any other trade forum will
negatively impact forests in the US and around the world.  Unfortunately
neither APEC nor the USTR have taken any visible steps toward reviewing the
potential environmental impacts of such actions.

Projections that would significantly increase pressure on forests:

REMOVING ALL EXPORT AND IMPORT TARIFFS AND SUBSIDIES would increase output
of forest products of $2 billion, implying an increased impact on forests.

REMOVING INDONESIA'S LOG EXPORT RESTRICTION would increase exports from $60
million to $900 million, implying an increased impact on already overcut
forests.  This would depress global log prices and increase global wood,
pulp and paper production by $80 - $90 million.

REMOVING THE CANADA-US SOFTWOOD LUMBER AGREEMENT, which attempts to rectify
the unfair advantage Canada's forest sector has over the US due to its
subsidies, would increase Canada's lumber exports to the USA by 7.5% to 10%
and Canada's lumber exports to all APEC countries by 4.6% to 6.2%,
resulting in additional environmental impacts on Canada's forests.

ELIMINATING OR PROHIBITING THE USE OF FOREST CERTIFICATION and labeling
mechanisms would increase forest product exports from many countries with
already heavily impacted forests and poor environmental safeguards.

Recommendations:

The APEC Study of Non-Tariff Measures in the Forest Sector portends a
potentially dangerous turn in trade liberalization.  It is of great concern
to us that the USTR and APEC may negotiate a trade initiative that would
increase the amount of wood harvested and traded from our planet's
dwindling forests at the same time that it takes away the important
protections and fair trade tools that citizens need to protect these
forests.  In order to prevent the improper treatment of legitimate national
policies as items for negotiation in trade talks, we recommend that the
USTR take the following actions:

1. Demonstrate its commitment to its December 2nd statement to oppose trade
liberalization that threatens legitimate environmental protections and
ultimately withdraw from all negotiations that include elimination of the
above listed forest protection measures;

2. Conduct a thorough environmental review before proceeding with any
forest sector NTM negotiations in accordance with Executive Order #13141;

3. Solicit informed and meaningful comments on the APEC study and any
follow-up actions from a broad sector of civil society in the US and
internationally;

4. Clarify its plan for discussing forest sector NTMs in other trade fora
besides APEC, such as WTO, FTAA and bilateral negotiations;

5. Make available the following information to the undersigned groups and
the general public so we can make more informed comments:
* Proposal and timeframe for discussing NTMs at APEC,
* Proposal for the forestry experts group,
* Plan for incorporating public comment into the US position on the APEC study.

We hope the USTR will view our comments as recommendations for how to
proceed further with USG and APEC treatment of environmental policies in
the trade arena.  The USTR must follow through with its commitment to
safeguarding environmental measures and communicate this position
effectively to the APEC members, in bilateral and multilateral negotiations
as well as future studies.  Thank you for your consideration of this
matter.  We look forward to your response.  Please do not hesitate to
contact us if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Paige Fischer, Forest and Trade Program Director, and Doug Norlen, Policy
Director
Pacific Environment

Michael Brune, Forest Campaigner
Rainforest Action Network, California

Jim Jontz, Executive Director
American Lands Alliance

Mike Leahy, Natural Resources Counsel, and Carroll Muffett, International
Counsel
Defenders of Wildlife

Bill Mankin, Director, and Jennifer McLean, Policy Analyst
Global Forestry Policy Project

Michael Marx, Executive Director
ForestEthics, California

Victor Menotti, Environment Program Director
International Forum on Globalization, California

Joe Scott, Conservation Director
Northwest Ecosystem Alliance, Washington

Dan Seligman, Director of Just Trade Campaign
Sierra Club

Allan Thornton, Executive Director
Environmental Investigation Agency, Washington DC

David Waskow,
Friends of the Earth, US

Elizabeth Ellis
The Certified Wood Products Website, Washington

Tim Hermach
Native Forest Council, Oregon

Rachel Martin
Allegheny Defense Project, Pennsylvania

Bob Mueller
Virginians for Wilderness, Virginia

Rick Steiner
The Coastal Coalition, Alaska

Doug Cornett
Northwoods Wilderness Recovery, Michigan

Jen Creasy
Shenandoah Ecosystems Defense Group, Virginia

Tracy Davids
Southern Appalachian Biodiversity Project, North Carolina

Mary Byrd Davis
Yggdrasil Institute, Kentucky

Christina Wulf
Virginia Forest Watch, Virginia

Colleen McCrory
Valhalla Wilderness Society, British Columbia, Canada

Tyhson Banighen, Executive Director
TIES - Turtle Island Earth Stewards, British Columbia, Canada

AnnaMaria Valastro
Peaceful Parks Coalition, Ontario, Canada

James Tweedie
Castle-Crown Wilderness Coalition, Alberta, Canada

W. O. Pruitt
Department of Zoology, University of Manitoba, Manitoba,Canada

Philip Thomas
International Conifer Conservation Programme, Royal Botanic Garden
Edinburgh, Scotland

Melissa Rengananthan
Malaysia Nature Society, Malaysia

Adelbert Gangai
Conservation Melanesia, Papua New Guinea

Fiodor Vladimirovich Kronikovsky
Taiga Ecological Group, Russia

Anatoly Lebedev
Bureau for Regional Oriental Campaigns (BROC), Russia

Valentin Zabortsev,
Krasnoyarsk Regional "Angara-Enisei Rescue ( Rehabilitaton)"Association, Russia

Tanty S. Thamrin
Wallace Forest Ecological Protection, Indonesia

Yasar Ozturk
Arkadas Çevre Grubu (Friends Environmental Group), Turkey

Umit Öztürk
Greenscreen, England

Chantal Marijnissen,
FERN, England

Mihoko Shimamoto
Faculty of Social Sciences, Hosei University, JAPAN

Takahiro Kohama
Japan Tropical Forest Action Network (JATAN), Japan

Toyoyuki Kawakami
APEC Monitor NGO Network, Japan

Patricia Vera Osses
Defensores del Bosque Chileno, Chile

cc:  Frank Loy, Department of State
        Ian Bowles, Council on Environmental Quality
        David Sandalow, Department of State
        Mary Latimer, Office of the USTR
        Barbara Weisel, Office of the USTR