[asia-apec 1835] Dates to Remember: Human Rights Now More than Ever

Anuradha Mittal amittal at foodfirst.org
Tue Dec 11 08:46:07 JST 2001

Dates to Remember:
Human Rights Now More than Ever

By Sosamma Samuel-Burnett
Coordinator, Economic and Social Human Rights Program
Food First/Institute for Food and Development Policy

The events of September 11 seared that date and its significance into
our national consciousness.  In the wake of these tragedies, another
date takes a renewed significance - December 10. This second date is
Human Rights Day, which this year signifies the 53rd anniversary of
the most widely recognized and accepted international human rights
document -- the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Now more than
ever, our nation needs to know and understand what human rights means
for people in our country and across the globe.

By definition terrorist attacks violates fundamental human rights -
most importantly the right to life. The fact that the September 11
events extinguished the right to life of a reported 3,900 people is
the reason for our national mourning and outrage. The terrorists
disregard for human rights should be our country's incentive to
strengthen our awareness and support for fundamental human rights.

In this context, we should also share outrage that the fundamental
human rights of 36 million poverty-stricken Americans are violated
and neglected. For these people the right to life, right to food,
right to housing, right to healthcare, and related rights have been
systematically denied by an economic and social system that has
politicized the needs of the disadvantaged.   As a country, we can
do more than mourn them.

While the United States responds to the September 11 terrorist
attacks, we must not overlook those people in our country who bear
the ripple effects of those terrible events.   Although the
airlines and other industries took government bailouts, thousands
of displaced workers have no means to get a job or earn a viable
income. While the priorities of our government shift to national
security, food insecurity and economic vulnerability grows for
millions of Americans who already lack adequate food, shelter, or
healthcare to maintain the bare minimum for survival or good health.

Particularly during difficult times, the concerns of the poor are
indeed the concerns of our nation.   To meet the fundamental human
rights of all Americans, our government together with the private
sector must directly and effectively address joblessness and
homelessness, provide a living wage and affordable healthcare, and
maintain safety nets that reach those that need them.

In doing so, we need to understand and respond to the underlying
structural and societal situation facing our nation's poor. Ensuring
the health and survival of our people is not a handout but a
necessity for the well being of the whole country. While our public
and media become increasingly aware of the Talibans brutal disregard
of human rights against the Afghan people, we must also realize the
United States' troubling record on economic and social human rights
for American people.

Yet it is important to note that the United States historically has
been a leader in the international human rights movement, and even
spurred the drafting of important international human rights
documents such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and
human rights treaties such as the International Covenant on Economic
and Social Human Rights. Since Franklin D. Roosevelt enunciated the
"Four Freedoms," the United States has been at the forefront in
promoting the concepts of human rights. But despite our leadership
in engaging other countries to recognize and fulfill their human
rights obligations, we have ignored ours. We not only have refused
to ratify numerous human rights treaties, but also have refused our
people the realization of their fundamental human rights. The
aftermath of September 11 is precisely the time for the United
States to demonstrate a real commitment to human rights. Only then
can we truly distinguish ourselves from the terrorists that we call
our enemy.

                                ###

For more information, to order Food First Books,or to join our member-supported organization, go to:
http://www.foodfirst.org.
Or send your tax-deductible check to:
Food First, 398 60th St. Oakland, CA 94618

This email was sent to: asia-apec at jca.ax.apc.org