[asia-apec 1596] What's New on Food First Website

Anuradha Mittal amittal at foodfirst.org
Wed Sep 27 05:48:22 JST 2000

What's New on Food First's Website

Walden Bellow, Food First board member, debates the IMF/World Bank
http://www.foodfirst.org/media/

Leading Scientists Debate the Merits of Biotechnology

Read the debate on transgenic crops published in AgBioForum. Miguel
Altieri of the University of California at Berkeley and Peter Rosset of
Food First/The Institute for Food and Development Policy argue that
biotechnology is not the solution to world hunger. Martina McGloughlin
of the University of California, Davis, responds with a defense of
biotechnology, to which Altieri and Rosset reply:

http://www.foodfirst.org/media/news/2000/biotechdebate.html

Oakland -- The twenty-fifth anniversary of Food First , also known as
the Institute for Food and Development Policy, was celebrated on
September 18, 2000 at the California Ballroom. Attending were
co-founders Frances Moore Lappe and Joseph Collins, co-authors of Food
First; dozens of current and past staffers, many of whom have gone on to
organize other food, hunger, and economic justice related organizations;
and hundreds of enthusiastic supporters.

http://www.foodfirst.org/media/press/2000/celeb25.html

Hassan Adamu's Sept. 11 op-ed column, "We'll Feed Our People as We See
Fit," would have us believe that biotechnology provides the only hope of
feeding the burgeoning hungry population in the Third World. But
biotechnology distracts decisionmakers from the more pressing problems
of alleviating hunger and poverty.

http://www.foodfirst.org/media/opeds/2000/9-enough.html

Support Food First's Work
https://www.foodfirst.org/join/member.html

You can help Food First provide the intellectual leadership to promote
an alternative vision of a world that promotes land and liberty, jobs
and justice.  Donations by individuals like you make it possible for
Food First to provide uncompromising, independent analysis of policies
that result in unnecessary hunger and environmental degradation.

You can make a tax-deductible donation using our secure server at
https://www.foodfirst.org/join/member.html or print out the form on the
site and mail it with your check or credit card number to Food First,
398 60th Street, Oakland, CA 94618 USA.

Working together we can change the world!

Visit our website:  http://www.foodfirst.org
        -  Explore our extensive resources (updated daily)
        -  Find out about our programs
        -  Join our member supported organization

25 Years of Fighting for the Right to Feed Oneself 1975 - 2000
                     For Land & Liberty -- For Jobs & Justice!

Join the fight against hunger. For more information contact foodfirst at foodfirst.org.