[asia-apec 1594] COUNTERPOINT ON GE FOOD FROM THE WASHINGTON POST

Anuradha Mittal amittal at foodfirst.org
Tue Sep 26 10:51:24 JST 2000

READ THIS POINT-COUNTERPOINT ON GE FOOD FROM THE WASHINGTON POST
Enough Food for the Whole World

by

ANURADHA MITTAL
Co-Director
Food First/Institute for Food and Development Policy
Oakland, Calif.
http://www.foodfirst.org
Washington Post
Friday, September 15, 2000; Page A26

Hassan Adamu's Sept. 11 op-ed column, "We'll Feed Our People as We See
Fit," would have us believe that biotechnology provides the only hope of
feeding the burgeoning hungry population in the Third World. But
biotechnology distracts decisionmakers from the more pressing problems
of alleviating hunger and poverty.

Our research at Food First shows that there is enough food to feed
everyone in this world: 4.5 pounds of food per person, per day, around
the world.

The problem is not one of production but of access and distribution.
Seventy-eight percent of countries reporting child malnourishment export
food.

A third of the world's 800 million hungry live in my country, India,
where the number of the hungry and malnourished has been steadily
rising. At the same time India is faced with an unmanageable food glut.
>From a food grain surplus of 10 million tons in 1999, the stocks have
multiplied to 42 million tons. Instead of distributing the surplus among
those who desperately need it, the government either wants to find an
export market or release it in the open market.

How will biotechnology provide food to those who are desperately in
need? Given the high seed cost, and the cost of other inputs that the
farmers will have to use, the cost of cultivation will go up and so will
the market price, ultimately subjecting more people to hunger and
starvation.

We'll Feed Our People As We See Fit

By Hassan Adamu

Washignton Post
Monday, September 11, 2000; Page A23

It is possible to kill someone with kindness, literally. That could be
the result of the well-meaning but extremely misguided attempts by
European and North American groups that are advising Africans to be wary
of agricultural biotechnology. They claim to have the environment and
public health at the core of their opposition, but scientific evidence
disproves their claims that enhanced crops are anything but safe. If we
take their alarmist warnings to heart, millions of Africans will suffer
and possibly die.

Agricultural biotechnology, whereby seeds are enhanced to instill
herbicide tolerance or provide resistance to insects and disease, holds
great promise for Africa and other areas of the world where
circumstances such as poverty and poor growing conditions make farming
difficult. Fertilizer, herbicides, pesticides, machinery, fuel and other
tools that richer nations take for granted as part of their farming
regimen are luxuries in poorer countries.

Moreover, the soil in tropical climates, or in areas with inhospitable
weather, cannot be farmed successfully in the more traditional ways.
These circumstances demand unique agricultural solutions, and many have
been made available through the advances of biotechnology.

To deny desperate, hungry people the means to control their futures by
presuming to know what is best for them is not only paternalistic but
morally wrong. Certainly, those with fertile lands and an abundance of
food have every right to decide how they would like to grow their crops
and process their foods. Organic farming, sophisticated methods of
distributing food and other approaches are well and good for those who
can afford to experiment. Starving people do not have this luxury. They
want food and nourishment, not lectures, and we certainly won't allow
ourselves to be intimidated by eco-terrorists who destroy test crops and
disrupt scientific meetings that strive to reveal the facts.

It is wrong and dangerous for a privileged people to presume that they
know what is best for everyone. And when this happens, it cannot come as
a shock that those who are imposed upon often see this attitude as
colonialist.

Millions of Africans--far too many of them children--are suffering from
malnutrition and hunger. Agricultural biotechnology offers a way to stop
the suffering. As Florence Wambugu, one of Africa's leading plant
geneticists said recently, "In Africa, GM [genetically modified] food
could almost literally weed out poverty."

With regard to agricultural biotechnology, Africans are not asking for
others to come in and grow our food. We are not asking for others to
provide the financial means to establish this system in our countries.
We want to come to the table as stakeholders. We know the conditions of
our fields. We know the threats, the insects and diseases. We can work
as partners to develop the seeds that could build peoples and nations.

We do not want to be denied this technology because of a misguided
notion that we don't understand the dangers or the future consequences.
We understand. We understand that this system must continue to undergo
study and careful use. We also understand that agricultural
biotechnology has been deemed safe and nutritious by a host of
nationally and internationally respected organizations such as the
National Research Council, Nuffield Council on Bioethics, World Health
Organization, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations,
Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, the American
Medical Association and the American Dietetic Association.

We will proceed carefully and thoughtfully, but we want to have the
opportunity to save the lives of millions of people and change the
course of history in many nations. That is our right, and we should not
be denied by those with a mistaken idea that they know best how everyone
should live or that they have the right to impose their values on us.

The harsh reality is that, without the help of agricultural
biotechnology, many will not live.
The writer is Nigeria's minister of agricultural and rural development.
© 2000 The Washington Post Company

Join the fight against hunger. For more information contact foodfirst at foodfirst.org.