[asia-apec 1628] New Report from Food First onn GEAnatomy of a Gene Spill

Anuradha Mittal amittal at foodfirst.org
Thu Nov 2 09:33:42 JST 2000

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE				Contact: Nicholas Parker
November 1, 2000						(510) 654-1914 Ext. 229
							Author available for interviews

Anatomy of a ‘Gene Spill’
Do we Really Need Genetically Engineered Food?

Food policy think tank releases report on the StarLink/taco shell corn
scandal which raises questions about genetic engineering of our food
supply

Full text of the report available at:
http://www.foodfirst.org/pubs/backgrdrs/2000/f00v6n4.html

(Oakland, CA)—The scandal surrounding the genetically engineered (GE)
StarLink corn—a variety not approved for human consumption—first found
in Taco Bell taco shells, is symptomatic of larger problems, according
to Food First’s latest Backgrounder: Anatomy of a Gene Spill: Do we
Really Need Genetically Engineered Food?  The report issued by the
Institute for Food and Development Policy, also know as ‘Food First,’
tackles the thorny issues of corporate concentration and collusion in
this recent ‘gene spill,’ the difficulties of keeping GE foods from the
human food supply, and the implications of gene spills for human health
and the environment.

"Unfortunately, gene spills are not as easy to contain as oil spills,"
says Dr. Peter Rosset, the author of the report and Co-Director of Food
First. "You can’t just throw a boom around them.  Once genes are taken
out of the laboratory, they can move from plant to plant by natural
pollination, winding up in genomes in which they have never been tested
and where they may have unpredictable effects."

After independent studies discovered Taco Bell taco shells to be
contaminated with a GE corn variety only approved for animal feed,
further studies have revealed how widespread this contamination is, with
the latest reports finding it in U.S. exports to Japan. According to the
report, all steps in the corn commodity chain, including planting,
harvesting, storage, shipping, and distribution, are susceptible to
genetic co-mingling. Complicating issues of accountability when
accidents happen are rampant corporate mergers, acquisitions and
alliances in the agriculture and food industry, which impede regulatory
oversight.

"Whether it is Alar on apples, or food poisoning outbreaks from fast
food hamburgers, corporate power and negligence with new
technologies—farm chemicals in one case and factory farming in the
other—are increasingly putting our food supply at risk and our federal
regulators to sleep," said Rosset.

The report argues that there is "no compelling need" for the these
products to be in our food today, and calls for an immediate moratorium
on commercial use of genetic engineering of crops and GE foods until
each product has passed widely acceptable environmental and health
safety tests.

Food First—founded in 1975 by Frances Moore Lappé and Joseph Collins
after the success of Diet for a Small Planet, is an ‘outside the
beltway’ policy think tank that carries out research, education and
advocacy about out food system. Food First works to identify the root
causes of hunger and poverty in the United States and around the world,
and to educate the public as well as policymakers about these problems
and alternative solutions to them.

Full text of the report is available at:
http://www.foodfirst.org/pubs/backgrdrs/2000/f00v6n4.html

To schedule interviews, please contact Nick Parker at (510) 654-4400
ext. 229; nparker at foodfirst.org
###

Join the fight against hunger. For more information contact foodfirst at foodfirst.org.