[asia-apec 1316] East Timor People's Peace relief project

Dete Aliyah dete at nusanet.nusa.or.id
Thu Sep 30 20:08:03 JST 1999

Dear friends;
PARC, together with other Japanese NGOs, started the peace relief project
for East timor.If you have similar project or ideas, please iinform us.

EAST TIMOR PEOPLE'S PEACE RELIEF PROJECT

     In the referendum on August 30th, a huge majority of East Timorese
voted against "annexation" to Indonesia. However, immediately after the
referendum, there were massive attacks by "pro-Indonesian" militias,
supported by the Indonesian Military against the people, in spite of strong
condemnation from international society. So far, at least hundreds of people
have been killed, more have been injured, and even more have had to flee
from their hometowns -- or even from East Timor.
     In spite of president Habibie's promise that the Indonesian government
would respect the results of the referendum, the massive violence which fell
upon East Timorese even swept away UNAMET staff. The Indonesian military is
primarily responsible for the security of East Timorese, but it has allowed
the militia's cruel violence, and even supported it.
     We, as people in Japan, keenly wish to establish peace, justice, and
democracy in East Timor. We would like to appeal for a people's  strategy to
build a stable peace in the Asia region, gathering the power of people who
want peace in East Timor.
     We propose the following, as people's direct contribution to East
Timor;
We will develop the People's Peace Relief Project, using funds raised from
citizens.
1. As a first step, we will push to Japanese and Indonesian government to
immediately secure safe conditions for relief activities. Simultaneously, we
will call on people all over the world to form an international solidarity
movement to surround East Timor, to build peace and stability there.
2. We will bring food and medicines as emergency relief to the people remain
in East Timor and refugees in West Timor.
3. We will provide support to people's self-support groups with relief items
and medical staff.

Please support this project!
POSTAL BOOK-TRANSFER (YUBIN-FURIKA'E) 00190-0-151832
OR
DAI-ICHI-KANGYO-BANK/KANDA BRANCH  (FUTSU)1910083
In the name of "(Higashi-Timor Shimin Heiwa Kyuen-Tai)
Contact address: East Timor People's Peace Relief Project
C/o Pacific Asia Resource Center (PARC)
Hinoki Bldg.3f 2-1, Kanda Ogawamachi  Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0052    JAPAN
Tel. +81-3-3291-5901  fax. +81-3-3292-2437   E-mail  parc at jca.apc.org

Support Project for the People of East Timor

OBJECT (AIM)
1) To pressure the United Nations and the Indonesian government, and
contribute to the the recovery of peace in East Timor.
2) To distribute food and medicines to the remaining people in both East and
West Timor, and provide emergency medial aid as well.
3) To provide aid to NGOs involved in local aid activities.
4) To call for broad help to people all over the world to support our
actions in order to provide a watch group and to produce peace and safety in
the region.

ACTIVITIES
1)  Fund raising: fund needed: 100,000,000 yen (for emergency goods,
logistics, and other local operations).
2)  Negotiation with international organizations and the Indonesian
government: negotiate with organizations in order to build an aid framework
to secure humanitarian aid in the region.
3)  Prepare aid goods and organize logistics in coordination with local NGOs
in order to provide aid quickly whenever a request comes.
4) Call for participants: look for professionals (doctors and/or nurses) to
be sent to the region in order to conduct surveys and research as well as to
provide emergency aid. At the request of local NGOs, send those
professionals to the region as quickly as possible.
5) Activities in the region: conduct appropriate actions as soon as
possible, in coordination with international agencies and/or local NGOs.
6)  Information dissemination: provide information on the latest situation
in East Timor to people in Japan.

Koshida Kiyokazu (koshida at jca.apc.org, parc at jca.apc.org)
Pacific Asia Resource Center (PARC)
3F, Hinoki Bldg., 2-1 Kanda Ogawa-machi, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo,Japan 101-0052
tel:81-3-3291-5901
fax:81-3-3292-2437