[asia-apec 1185] West Papua

Gatt Watchdog gattwd at corso.ch.planet.gen.nz
Thu Jul 8 08:21:19 JST 1999

Title -- 2207 WEST PAPUA: Bloody killings continue, says OPM man
Date -- 7 July 1999
Byline -- Press release
Origin -- Pasifik Nius
Source -- John O. Ondawame/OPM, 7/7/99
Status -- Unabridged
-------------------
OPM press Release

* See Nius item 2205.

BLOODY KILLINGS BY INDONESIAN FORCES CONTINUE, AS REGIME TURNS BLIND EYE

SYDNEY, Australia: "New killings and mass arrests of 44 civilians who
participated in a peaceful flag  raising ceremony by joint Indonesian
police and military forces, in Soronga [West Papua/Irian Jaya] on
5 July 1999, was a criminal act against humanity.

"We condemn such crimes and urge the Government of Indonesia to release
them immediately. We also call on the  Government of Australia and the
international community to intervene and take all necessary measures to
ensure their safety and also to prevent any further
escalation of civilian disasters,a and social and political unrest,"
said Otto Ondawame, international spokesperson for the OPM in Sydney.

Four hundred soldiers of a "joint forces" opened gunfire on the crowd
indiscriminately  and pulled down the flag which had been raised by the
people. Considerable
numbers of the crowd were seriously injured.

"Marthen Isir is in a critical condition having been shot in the head.
He isa under intensive medical care in public hospital with little hope
of recovery. The lives ofa those 140a now detained in the police
custody in Sorong are our serious concern." says Mr. Ondawame

"We are very worried about the fate of these innocent civilians. We do
not want
the history of the Biak massacre one year ago and massacres in other
parts of
West Papua to be repeated at a time of peace dialogue and democratic
process.
We call on the Government of Indonesia to allow independent human rights

organisations, including health personnel to have access to monitor
their
conditions", said Otto Ondawame.

The general situation in the city is nowa very tense. Main roads in the
city
area
closed to the public and tightly controlled by the security forces. New
curfews
have already been put in place since yesterday as well as searching for
the
suspected members of the OPM. All shops in the city were closed down
yesterday. People are afraid to go out and there is difficulty in
getting basic
needs.

"We hope this was not a result of an orchestrated event as in other
cases of
destabilisation so that the Papuan suffer deprivation of basic
necessities. If
these conditions continue for more than a few days, it may lead to a new

"worst scenario". It may not only generate new waves of social and
political
unrest, but also discredit the peace initiative that is presently being
undertaken by
the Forum for Reconciliation of the people of West Papua (FORERI) with
the
Government of Indonesia" said Otto Ondawame.

Further information, please contact John O. Ondawame
61 2 9960 1698 (home) ora 9950 3674 (Office)

+++niuswire

This document is for educational and research use only. Recipients
should seek permission from the copyright source before reprinting.
PASIFIK NIUS service is provided by the niusedita via the Journalism
Program, University of the South Pacific.
Please acknowledge Pasifik Nius:
niusedita at pactok.net.au
http://www.usp.ac.fj/journ/nius/index.html