[asia-apec 1167] Request for Cooperation and Info - SRC Pakistan

winner white fod346 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 1 16:47:05 JST 1999

Sindh Research Council (SRC) is a non-profitmaking , non-governmental and
non-sectarian participatory organization of researchers, lawyers, writers
and professionals whose mission is to eliminate human rights violations,
maltreatment and torture to prisoners, colonialism and apartheid. Sindh
Research Council  stresses that civil & political rights cannot be
dissociated from economic, social, & cultural rights and it works for
recognition and promotion of individual civil & political liberties (freedom
from arbitrary arrest, detention without trial, & torture or other
maltreatment; freedom of movement, association, & expression; religious,
conscientious, & philosophical liberty). SRC also believes and struggles for
social & economic rights & freedoms  (rights to education, health care,
work, fair conditions of employment, & maintenance of at least a minimum
standard of living) of the people of South Asia in general and Sindh
(Area:140914 sq. k.m. Pop:Over 45 Millions) & Pakistan in particular.

SRC has been undertaking research & advocacy work in the fields of human
rights, sustainable development, environment, media,  gender and legal aid
since December 1991 with our headquarters in Hyderabad Sindh, SRC has a
highly qualified and committed team of approximately 45 people and its
executive authority is vested in the central executive committee (including
seven office-bearers) which is elected by the general council every three
years.

In 1994 SRC catalyzed the launching of monthly Subuh Theendo (morning will
come) the most popular and largest circulated Sindhi magazine, and since
than  Sindh Research Council (SRC), Daily Laat and monthly Subuh Theendo
(Dawn Will Dawn) have made peace and human rights as their prime concern and
area for special focus. In the pages of Subuh Theendo we have been
apprising the  people  of   rural   areas of  Pakistan  of their problems in
their own language,  and  have been  bringing the said problems  in  to the
notice of the peoples of different continents.  Keeping in view the low
literacy rate of our country we need a direct communication with our rural
masses who can not understand the modern terminology and techniques,
therefore Subuh Theendo have started a series of articles like:
- What has to be done- Conflicts in South Asia (Published in Subuh Theendo
Sept. 1997)
- Human Rights violations  in Indus valley.  (Oct. 1997)
- Peace, Poverty & Empowerment (Dec. 1997)
- Effective Microorganism and Echo system. ( Jan. 1998)
- Religious Fanaticism a Threat for the Region. (Feb. 1998)
- Environment, NGOs and Gender Sensitivity  (March 1998)
- South Asia Peace, Environment and Human Rights (April 1998)
- Sindhi Women Issues and Problems (May 1998)
- Human Rights & Prisoners (May 1998)
- Obstacle of Feudalism (June 1998)
- Threat of Kalabagh Hydro Power Dam (August 1998)
- Evolution and Environment (Sept. 1998)
- Secularism a need of Time (Nov. 1998)
- China Conference on Sustainable Dev. & Integrated Water  Manag. (Dec.
1998)

The peasantry in Pakistan, is among the most oppressed in the world. Our
main area of concern is to provide them the database about there Civil and
Human Rights and to educate  them that development works are stopped because
of unavailability of funds due to war adventurism and those few that are
under process are usually taking place without any environmental protection
consideration. Our comparative adult literacy rate is just 36% and
expenditures (% of GDP) on education and health are about 2.7 and 1.8
percent. The  governments of South Asia are spending billions on nuclear and
conventional  weapons while basics such as vaccination against polio, clean
water, food, schooling, power generation, etc. are neglected. SRC has over
seven years of experience of archival  and empirical research , using both
conventional as well as innovative methodologies. All of Sindh Research
Council's  research is action oriented and it has given a substantial input
to diverse groups working in rural areas of Sindh & Pakistan.

In February 1999 SRC catalyzed the launching of the first and the largest
(1048 subscribers) email list for people interested in issues of Pakistan
and Sindh generally, and Regional Peace, Environment and Sustainable
Development specifically. Sindhorg academic Email list  and Witsoft Youth
Email  List (1200+ subscribers) have been encouraging and facilitating
discussions, exchange and constructive debates on various colors and shades
of  South Asian politics, human rights situation, security concerns, culture
and development activities. Sindhorg is a research list which covers the
issues, initiatives and events related to Education, Peace, Gender, Legal
aid and Human Rights in Pakistan and South Asia. The list is open to the
public, so anyone can participate. This historical initiative for awareness
and advocacy is designed to raise critical issues and provide communication
links and a space for the exchange of information among researchers,
activists, academics and professionals interested in all forms of civil and
political rights, Sustainable Development & Environmental Communication.
Sindhorg subscribers  are signed up from different parts of the world, and
may subscribe to different customs, cultures, languages and religious
persuasions. All the information gathered is made available free of charge
to the readers/subscribers.

We have also started a WEB page for promotion of PEACE and ENVIRONMENT
related information, and we are working to expend its area of coverage and
dissemination.
Sindhorg Email List: 	http://www.egroups.com/group/sindhorg
Witsoft Email List:	http://www.egroups.com/group/witsoft
Sindh Research WEB:	http://www.angelfire.com/az/Sindh/index.html

For seeking cooperation and networking and extension of our resources and
information SRC delegates have been participating in different international
and Regional conferences and Seminars like:
b. Mysticism and PEACE seminar DELHI INDIA (16-10- 1987)
c. Seminar on Human Rights in South Asia LONDON UK (JANUARY  1987)
d. ASIAN STUDENTS ASS. (ASA) conference HONG KONG	(27-1-96)
e. KARO KARI seminar of Sindhiani Tahreek in  Hyderabad. (22-03-95)
f. Workshop on WOMEN’S ROLE IN SOCIETY By  WORD in KAR (JUN.96)
g. Workshop on PEASANT STRUGGLE in AMSTERDAM (28-8-96)
h. Seminar on Water Shortage & Kalabagh Dam  in Hyderabad (17-03-97)
i. OXFAM’S  workshop on  SIDA in HYDERABAD (16-08-97)
j. Workshop on National Drainage Program (NDP) by SPO (5-3-98)
k. Women & Dev. Agenda Seminar by Oxfam & SRC in Hyderabad  (26-3-98)
l. LEAD workshops on Decision Making, Advocacy  & Lobbying  (July 1998)
m. Workshop on  ADVOCACY by NGORC in  KARACHI (08-08-98)
n. Conference on Sustainable Development through Integrated Water Man. China
(5-16 Oct.98)
o. SDPI & World Bank’s Confer. on Natural Resource Conservation
Islamabad(14-16 Dec 98)
p. LEAD workshop on Globalization,  WTO & Environment Islamabad (1-9 March
1999)

Through our field teams, advocacy programs, lobbying campaigns ( against
Kalabagh, Ketibander, Explosions, Kirthar Oil Exploration, NDP, Karo Kari
Honor Killing etc) and dissemination of  subject-specific research material
and database SRC is striving  to make a meaningful contribution to improving
the quality of life; a desire to maximize our effectiveness through
creativity and high quality work; and compassion, honesty, love and respect
towards mother earth.

Signed

Ayaz Latif Palijo
Chairman
Maqsood Memon
General Secretary
Razak Rind
Field Coordinator
Members of CEC.

Please extend your cooperation and include SRC's address in your mailing
list. If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Addr: B-48, Prince Town, (QA), Hyderabad, Sindh, Pakistan.
Phone: 92 - 221 - 651947, 651725
Email : src_st at hyd.netasia.com.pk, ayazl at paknet3.ptc.pk,  fsr5st at hotmail.com